Porter taste...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carsonwarstler

Reaction score
I gave my first run at a porter a few weeks back and I've got it on tap now. I didn't research much into a porter recipe, just checked out a few and pieced some stuff together based on taste (again first porter recipe) so I'm expecting some trial and error.

Anyhow, tastes decent. Nice roasty flavor, minor chocolate notes, but seems to have a permanent marker smell; though still tastes a bit green. Anyone have experience w that smell?

WyomingBrewer said:
Marker? Like a permanent marker? Cant say I ever smelled that in a beer.

Yes. Like a permanent marker. Kind of odd, still pretty young so it may fade in a week or so but is fairly recognizable right now.

I suggest paying close attention to sanitation and fermentation temps next time and do everything else the same and see if it solves it.

Lots of possibilities I guess. I could see how some roasty smells mixed with some piney/dank hops could yield a permanent marker-like smell. But again, lots of possibilities. Time would likely help mellow the aroma.

WyomingBrewer said:
I suggest paying close attention to sanitation and fermentation temps next time and do everything else the same and see if it solves it.

I'm pretty anal about sanitation and I fermented between 66-68 (use a freezer and heater w dual temp controller) for 3 weeks, no secondary. So it could just be a recipe flaw w too much roast or too much of one ingredient, again I just made it up.

8lb british 2 row
1lb crystal 60
1lb crystal 20
12oz uk choc malt
12oz crystal 120
12oz black patent
8oz roasted barley
2oz fuggles (4.5% at 60min)
WLP002

Mashed at 154 for 60 min. Boiled for 60 min, w hops added at beginning of boil. Made a sufficient starter size and fermented for 3 weeks at 66-68 degrees.

OG- 1.056
FG- 1.019

Any close looks at my grain bill bring up concern? It's really dark and may have gotten too complex on the dark malts. Will probably cut out the black patent and crystal 20 and 60 next batch. Will add some crystal 40 and victory.... Any thoughts?

stpug said:
Lots of possibilities I guess. I could see how some roasty smells mixed with some piney/dank hops could yield a permanent marker-like smell. But again, lots of possibilities. Time would likely help mellow the aroma.

Good to hear. Ill let it sit and see how it ends up. Taste is pretty solid, just the smell.... There have been greater tragedies in the world.

Back