Yeast starter for wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibattista

Reaction score
If a recipe calls for a starter using the following
1package Montrachet yeast
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 1/2 cups orange juice

then does it not matter if the liquid used is cold?
I was always under the impression that it should be warm to hot.

That is a really odd recipe for a starter. Pure orange juice is quite acidic. Pectic and nutrient are usually added to the main batch, not the starter.

Montrachet costs less than a buck a pack. I'd just add an extra pack if you think it needs it. That's a lot easier than making a starter.

If I am doing a starter I usually just rehydrate the yeast in some warm NOT HOT sugar water, then let the yeast get started. After a few hours when the yeast has started to work on the water I will start adding 1/2 cup of the must to the starter ever few hours over the next 24 hours or so. That usually gets the yeast going pretty good and acclimates them to their new environment. I only do this with wines that are known for fermentation problems such as cranberry and blueberry wines. Most of the time I just pitch the dry yeast directly on the must and walk away.

thats a very odd recipe.

Most wines never use a starter as many wine yeasts are dry top fermenters. sprinkle on top, leave alone at first and stir during the first few days.

I use to just sprinkle on top but ever since I started doing starters I always use them. I use honey instead of orange juice, a member on here told me the recipe it works very fast.

I guess if you really want to use orange juice, yes it needs to be warm or room temp.

Latest posts

Back