2 weeks vs 3 weeks in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoloDolo

Reaction score
I brewed a porter nearly 2 weeks ago and I am planning on bottling directly from the primary. Is there any benifit to letting the beer sit in the primary for an extra week before I bottle or should I just go ahead and bottle it after 2 weeks in the primary?

It's hard to answer a question like this, but consider this: Your beer certainly won't be worse, and it might be better if you wait the three weeks.

It'll give the yeast a little extra time to "do their thing", and you'll have fewer floaties in your brew. When I started leaving my beer in the primary a little longer, I was amazed at how clear it was. Everything had dropped out of suspension.

One way to check is to take a hydrometer sample, and after you check the SG, pour the sample into a pint glass. Is it hazy? Is it clear? That will tell you if you could benefit from a little more time in the primary.

Hope this helps.

Exactly what Homer said, one thing for sure is that it won't hurt it. When in doubt, always wait a week. Patience is the new brewers bane, but if you follow through, you'll be rewarded.

The more you brew, you will get a feel for when it's through. I had an Amber finish fermenting(i.e. terminal gravity) after about 6 days. I let go another four for d-rest if needed and yeast-clean up. Bottled after 10 days. I would NEVER recommend a new brewer to bottle after ten days, but with experience, you'll learn when your beer is done.

Three weeks and a consecutive days identical hydrometer reading, you can't go wrong.

3 weeks in the primary is fine. And by 'bottling straight from primary', I assume you will be racking to a bottling bucket first, correct?

Yes there is an advantage to waiting. Your beer will taste better and be clearer for waiting. I always leave beer at least 4 weeks so the yeast can finish its job of cleaning up the off flavors from its waste and settling out of the beer so I only have a dusting of yeast in the bottle.

My first batch I bottled after 2 and the second I bottled after 3. The 3 week batch was definitely better. Don't rush the yeasties.. They are busy cleaning up in there

Yea I almost always do 3 or 4 weeks primary, then bottle or keg.

Wait 4 weeks and you will be glad you did...patience is key in homebrewing;)

On my last amber, I let it sit in the primary for 4 weeks and then bottle conditioned for another 4. I have made the recipe a few times and this was by far the best. I'm usually 2-1/2 to 3 weeks primary and 2-3 weeks bottle and this made all the difference in the world.

It sucks to have to wait, but in the end it is worth it.

I used to bottle directly from the primary...via a bottling bucket. I now rack into a secondary for at least a week. That way I get the brew off the trub and makes it easier when I rack into the bottling bucket.

I leave mine in primary for a month, but if I am racking a beer to secondary to dry hop, add oak or fruit (the only reasons I would do rack to secondary) I do that at 2 weeks, for another two weeks.

To me two weeks in primary to bottle is not enough time to get the benefits of leaving a beer on the yeast cake (clarity, etc). So that means it's gonna be another 2 weeks in secondary.

To me a month til bottling regardless of what combination I use, makes for the best tasting beer.

I leave mine in primary for a month, but if I am racking a beer to secondary to dry hop, add oak or fruit (the only reasons I would do rack to secondary) I do that at 2 weeks, for another two weeks.

To me two weeks in primary to bottle is not enough time to get the benefits of leaving a beer on the yeast cake (clarity, etc). So that means it's gonna be another 2 weeks in secondary.

To me a month til bottling regardless of what combination I use, makes for the best tasting beer.

Revvy what is your fermentation temperature "schedule" and ranges? I realize this differs by beer / yeast but say initial is at 65 degrees. Do you leave it at 65 for a week, two weeks. Allow temp to rise after two weeks? Bring temp down again last couple days?
Sorry about the Tigers. I personally loathe Texas. Go Cards... I guess

Revvy what is your fermentation temperature "schedule" and ranges? I realize this differs by beer / yeast but say initial is at 65 degrees. Do you leave it at 65 for a week, two weeks. Allow temp to rise after two weeks? Bring temp down again last couple days?
Sorry about the Tigers. I personally loathe Texas. Go Cards... I guess

Unless the ambient is too high during the initial week of fermentation, I don't mess with my temps. If it's too hot during that week I use a swamp cooler. But after fermentaion is complete you really don't need to worry about temps too much.

What about the alternative, can you leave it in a primary too long?

Does leaving it in the primary for an extra week (or 2) reduce the time in the bottle by the same amount or doesn't it work like that?

No,it won't change bottle conditioning time. What it does change is the clarity & quality of flavor/aroma. The bottles still need 3-5 weeks for an average gravity brew. I give my ales whatever time they need to get down to a stable FG. Then another 3-5 days to clean up & settle out more.
I came to this conclusion on a couple of brews by 1st reaching FG,then using a shot glass to taste the beer once a day till it tasted good for a green beer. Then bulk prime & bottle.

With a Porter I would wait a minumum of 28 days in the primary. I have gone out to 6 weeks depending upon the receipe. After bottling wait a minimum of three weeks for them to carb up. (depands on the temps) I also wait about two days after putting some in the frig before sampling......Enjoy!:mug:

Back