Russian River Damnation Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

de3isit

Reaction score
Guys,
I could you some help with a recipe for a Russian River Dalmation clone. My wife fell in love with it so I decided to give it a shot. This is a culmination of a number of threads I found. Let me know what what you think.

Damnation Clone
Belgian Blond Ale

Type: All Grain
Batch Size (fermenter): 11.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients
21 lbs Pilsen Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.0 SRM) Grain 1 84.0 %
1 lbs Munich (10.2 SRM) Grain 2 4.0 %
1 lbs Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.0 %
1 lbs Candi Sugar, Amber (75.0 SRM) Sugar 4 4.0 %
1 lbs Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 5 4.0 %
1.50 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 6 13.2 IBUs
1.50 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 9.5 IBUs
2.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500) [35.49 ml] Yeast 9 -

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.065 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.2 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 22.7 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 7.0 SRM

Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium
Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 25 lbs
Sparge Water: 8.28 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.20
Mash Steps
Name Description Step
TemperatureStep Time
Mash In Add 7.69 gal of water at 162.9 F 152.0 F 60 min
Sparge Step: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.68gal, 6.61gal) of 168.0 F water

I was wandering if the amber sugar would give it too much color. It is a pretty golden in color.

Did you end up brewing this? What made you settle on WLP500 instead of 530 or 570? Also, why wheat and Munich instead of the standard pilsner and a touch of aromatic malt which is more standard for the style?

I haven't brewed it yet. I didn't feel I had the recipe dialed in yet. What would you suggest?

Well I guess that really depends on the iteration you prefer the most. I guess they just recently decided to make it a Tripel instead of a BGSA and I haven't tried that. Back when it was a Golden Ale I tried it and thought it was delicious. I remember it being fairly gentle on the spices and decently fruity, but mainly just nice and light and clean. I would say WLP530 or WLP510 would be your best bet for that, but the differences between all of the belgian yeasts are very distinct, but incredibly difficult to characterize. I just compared 4 of them side by side and I'd say that I would be perfectly happy with any of them in either a tripel or a BGSA. For grain bill I would guess it's fairly simple, Randy Mosher's book has an interesting BGSA recipe. Interesting because of the simplicity.

12lbs Pilsener
2lbs white corn sugar

That's it.

I'd guess Damnation is that, plus maybe like 8oz biscuit malt or aromatic malt, and maybe a tiny bit of munich. I like the idea of some wheat though. Not sure if it fits the style, but it sounds nice.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just had this beer, and I LOVE it. Anyone nail down a solid clone for it?

Latest posts

Back