Raw milk from local farms/ ranches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Fedwell

Reaction score
Aloha all,
I live in Maui Hawaii, a state which prohibits raw milk sales. I live in an area with cows everywhere. I'm sure if I put it out there, I could find raw cow or goat milk. I only intend on consuming the cheese, and do not intend to sell it. How can I get around this law. I do own a store in the area and have made friends with some of the ranchers. Trade (beer)? That sounds even more illegal.

Pretty soon the FDA will recommend the prohibition of any unprocessed food sales.

Trading is not illegal. If all else fails, buy a cow.

In my state, you can own a share of a herd. If you own part of the herd, one of the things you get as a result is raw milk. It's perfectly legal in Michigan to do that. I have a small share, so I get one gallon of raw goat's milk per week.

Aloha all,
I live in Maui Hawaii, a state which prohibits raw milk sales. I live in an area with cows everywhere. I'm sure if I put it out there, I could find raw cow or goat milk. I only intend on consuming the cheese, and do not intend to sell it. How can I get around this law. I do own a store in the area and have made friends with some of the ranchers. Trade (beer)? That sounds even more illegal.
What you're asking, essentially, is how to speed without speeding. If it's illegal, it's illegal. That said, there's illegal speeding going 50 in a 45 zone and illegal drunk driving at 100 mph. What you're looking to do is go 50. So just do it. Trading (not selling, of course) your beer for some raw milk sounds like exactly the right way to go to me. I say just man up and go for it.

Back