PBW vs Easy Clean & swing-top bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miagolano

Reaction score
Hi all

About to try my first batch of mead using Joe's recipe. I'm going to be bottling (eventually) into swing top bottles.

Checking the beer forums I see that people are soaking things in PBW but everything I've read so far about mead has folks using Easy Clean instead. Is there a huge difference? Is soaking the swing tops in Easy Clean going to do anything bad to the seals? I'm reluctant to use bleach because I'm not sure if the seals would retain the bleachy scent and then ruin the mead and/or corrode the seals over time.

I already have a jar of Easy Clean so I'm hoping that's all I need. Thanks!

Well I'm not familiar with easy clean, but it is always good to look at the MSDS. I'd google it and see.

I like to use a iodine based sanitizer after I soak with oxyclean and have had no issues with soapy taste. Best of luck.

I've used PBW on swing-top bottles and they're fine. You should be replacing the rubber gaskets after a half dozen uses or so anyway, but the cleaners won't ruin them after one clean. Hope that helps.

Here's something that should help: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/differences-of-cleaners.html
OneStep & Easy Clean are essentially the same product under different brand names.

There's a chart out there somewhere that compares all the available cleaners, but I have only seen it on paper... I think it was in a recent issue of Zymurgy, though I can't find it by searching their site. If you get their magazine, I think it was in the past 2-3 issues. (or was it BYO? Curse this memory of mine!)

Back