Is this excessive?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanhuber

Reaction score
This is only my 3rd batch, it's a double IPA. Just wondering if this sort of craziness is typical:
IMG_2158.JPG

Nah, that's to be expected. I'd get a blowoff tube and get it off the carpet before you catch hell from the missus.

Yes, that is normal craziness. You should search around in the message boards and look into using a blow-off tube during the first few days of fermentation. Less mess and clean-up.

Yup thats pretty normal...

If you do a search on blow off tube you'll find the remedy Basically you replace the airlock with a tube, run the tube into a jar of sanatiser and let it foam away...

EDIT: WOW 4 "first" replies!!!

You'll probably want a blow off tube. Just stick the hose you use for bottling on the middle thing in the airlock, and stick the other end in a jar of sanitizer. This isn't too uncommon. Well, it's happened twice in the 4 batches I've done.
If you ferment in a 6 gallon carboy, it won't be as bad. A lot less hassle, IMHO.

Back