South Central Pa. Brew Day 5/31

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evets

Reaction score
OK folks, I'm pleased to announce that I have received permission from SWMBO to host a brew day at our home in Lancaster County Pa. on Sat. May 31 for all of you who would care to attend. I've got plenty of room for everyone to set up their own equipment. I'll provide water for brewing and the basic B-B-Q fare. Feel free to bring other food items as you may care to.
I have a fair amount of floor space for those who don't want to drive home, and even more for those who'd rather pitch a tent. All of you are welcome. I'm easy to find, just a mile and a half off exit 286 of the Pa. Turnpike. Please PM me for further info and directions. I Hope to meet a lot of new friends on May 31st!

You said "pitch a tent".

*giggle, giggle, snort*

I'll talk to SWMBO and get back to you.

Evets said:
OK folks, I'm pleased to announce that I have received permission from SWMBO to host a brew day at our home in Lancaster County Pa. on Sat. May 31 for all of you who would care to attend. I've got plenty of room for everyone to set up their own equipment. I'll provide water for brewing and the basic B-B-Q fare. Feel free to bring other food items as you may care to.
I have a fair amount of floor space for those who don't want to drive home, and even more for those who'd rather pitch a tent. All of you are welcome. I'm easy to find, just a mile and a half off exit 286 of the Pa. Turnpike. Please PM me for further info and directions. I Hope to meet a lot of new friends on May 31st!
I would've love to brew that day but will be camping that weekend.

Just caught this thread now... Hopefully I'll be able to make this. I'll let you know in the coming weeks, but shouldn't be a problem with this much notice!

Hmm, it looks like 2.5 hours for me. Dang, that's like an hour further than I promised myself I'd ever drive for brewing. Of course, then ollllo does a cross country flight for a brew day and makes me feel inadequate ;-)

Bump
I'll probably brew early, around 7 or so, and maybe do another later on. Anyone is welcome to show up as early as 7 AM.

Huh, I may be interested in this. I am a brewer without a brewery at the moment, and would love to finally meet some good HBT people. I may be up for the drive.

Bobby, if you want to drive the 1.5 hrs to my place, we could car pool out to amish-ville.

:cross:
Ryan_PA said:
Huh, I may be interested in this. I am a brewer without a brewery at the moment, and would love to finally meet some good HBT people. I may be up for the drive.

Bobby, if you want to drive the 1.5 hrs to my place, we could car pool out to amish-ville.
Come on now it may be Amishville around here but I do have all my teeth!

With all the Lancaster-area brewers here, and so few takers, this thread deserves a bump!

imasickboy said:
With all the Lancaster-area brewers here, and so few takers, this thread deserves a bump!
I will try and make that weekend as yes there are a lot of us Amish brewers around here. Even though I a "Western other side of the river amish brewer".

Anyone have any ideas what they may brew that day?

I have some ideas, but may end up brewing all of those before then.

So, myself, I have no idea...

imasickboy said:
Anyone have any ideas what they may brew that day?

I have some ideas, but may end up brewing all of those before then.

So, myself, I have no idea...
I really have not given the recipe any thought although I do have some Belgians I wanted to brew this summer. I might brew a farmhouse ale or a Wit.

Yeah, I don't know. Too far away yet. It depends on what I brew between now and then. I'll probably keep it simple, though, with all the activity to possibly get distracted. No step mashes or decoctions or such.

Evets said:
Yeah, I don't know. Too far away yet. It depends on what I brew between now and then. I'll probably keep it simple, though, with all the activity to possibly get distracted. No step mashes or decoctions or such.
I've actually goten away from doing step mashes. I find that the type of grain seems more important than the type of mash.

I made it onto the "family calendar", so I am as good as gold for this.

As of now, I am kicking around the idea of either a late oktoberfest, or an alt. There is a darn good chance I will change my mind by then though.

Any philly area brewers that want to take the trip out, let me know, perhaps we can car pool or at least do a caravan.

Evets said:
Time for a bump.

imasickboy said:
No, they don't...

Isn't the 31st also supposed to be the Philly Pub Crawl?
I'll be at Evets brewing. I'm going to philly this Sat to judge 1st rd at AHA nationals. Spending the night and will probably hit Noddinhead and Monk's Cafe. Since I'll be in town, might as well visit some new places I have not been to yet.

Warrior said:
I'll be at Evets brewing.
Me too. I'd much rather make beer than buy beer, anyway.

Does anyone coming have any amarillo that they'd like to trade for? Choose what you want, and I should either have it, or should be able to easily get it. I just can't bring myself to pay those outrageous prices that amarillo is fetching these days.

I think I've got 8 oz. in the freezer. I'd be happy to share an oz. or two. Some EKG or Styrian would be nice if you have any.

Some EKG shouldn't be a problem.

I've been mulling over my brew schedule, and I think I'll brew a Nugget Nectar inspired Imperial Amber that day, provided I don't suddenly run into a bunch of extra time before then, in which case, we may be sampling the Imperial Amber instead.

Getting closer now, so I guess another bump is in order. Maybe time to start getting a head count, as well, so I can plan the grocery list.

I wish I could make it. :/

Unfortunately, I have a golf tourney and party that day.

At some point, raise a pint for me in honor of my 29th birthday which is also 5/31.

I'm definitely in. Coming solo. SWMBO and the kids only tolerate my obsession, they surely wouldn't participate in it in any fashion.

You had mentioned brewing early. If that's still your plan, I'd probably be up for that.

I wish I could make it but I have a wedding to attend that day.

imasickboy,
Care to share that Imperial Amber recipe that your working on? I've been kicking around doing the same but I haven't sat down to create a recipe yet.

imasickboy,
Care to share that Imperial Amber recipe that your working on? I've been kicking around doing the same but I haven't sat down to create a recipe yet.

Sure, it's a tasty one. I've been overdue in making this one again.

Mike D.'s Imperial Amber

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics

----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 10.00 Wort Size (Gal): 10.00

Total Grain (Lbs): 29.50

Anticipated OG: 1.087 Plato: 20.88

Anticipated SRM: 12.2

Anticipated IBU: 75.4

Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %

Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts

----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour

Pre-Boil Wort Size: 12.31 Gal

Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.071 SG 17.20 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

0.8 0.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350

0.8 0.25 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 120

61.0 18.00 lbs. Pilsener Belgium 1.037 2

27.1 8.00 lbs. Vienna Malt Germany 1.037 3

6.8 2.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8

3.4 1.00 lbs. Weyermann Carared Germany 1.036 24

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.00 oz. Nugget Pellet 13.00 28.8 75 min.

3.00 oz. Chinook Pellet 13.00 21.6 15 min.

2.00 oz. Warrior Pellet 16.00 17.7 15 min.

1.00 oz. Simcoe Pellet 13.00 7.2 15 min.

3.00 oz. Palisade Pellet 7.00 0.0 0 min.

1.00 oz. Columbus Pellet 15.00 0.0 0 min.

Yeast

-----

WYeast 1056 Amercan Ale/Chico

Mash Schedule

-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 29.50

Water Qts: 42.75 - Before Additional Infusions

Water Gal: 10.69 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.45 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 153 Time: 60

Mash-out Rest Temp : 175 Time: 10

Sparge Temp : 172 Time: 60

Total Mash Volume Gal: 13.05 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

I'm definitely in. Coming solo. SWMBO and the kids only tolerate my obsession, they surely wouldn't participate in it in any fashion.

You had mentioned brewing early. If that's still your plan, I'd probably be up for that.
Sounds like my SWMBPO (She whom must be pissed off) she puts up with my obsession but gets bored at any home brew gathering. I'll be there and I'm probably going to try and brew a hennepin clone.

I think I am going to take a whack at my interpretation of a Hobgoblin clone. I have been tossing the originals down like crazy, so I think I will see what I can do to come close.

That imperial amber looks really tasty, good thing there is not a hop shortage right now...

I wish I could make it. :/

Unfortunately, I have a golf tourney and party that day.

At some point, raise a pint for me in honor of my 29th birthday which is also 5/31.
Jester we'll drink one to your birthday, 29 that was a long time ago for this old fart!

i would like to attend and try to learn some stuff as i'm really new to this whole thing. if that's ok with the host and you can send me some directions i'll be there.

also let me know if i can bring anything, i will not be brewing. just trying to learn.

dave

i would like to attend and try to learn some stuff as i'm really new to this whole thing. if that's ok with the host and you can send me some directions i'll be there.

also let me know if i can bring anything, i will not be brewing. just trying to learn.

dave
Good way to learn a lot about brewing. You'll see several different set ups and get lots of good advice from experienced brewers. Don't worry we were all new to this obsession at one time and you are more than welcome to have a few good home brews and meet some of the people from HBT.

Latest posts

Back