Beer Bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Beer Bread

3 cups self-rising flour*
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 (12-ounce) can of beer

1. Preheat oven to 375*F (190*C). Lightly grease or spray a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Combine all ingredients, mixing well.
3. Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour.

Makes 1 loaf.

*Or you may substitute with 3 cups all purpose flour, 3 teaspoons baking powder and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.

Beer Bread II

Beer Bread, Take 2

yeastbeerbreadre2.gif

Some months ago I made a loaf of beer quick bread. It was mighty tasty but had the drawback of all quick breads -- no real structure. This made it unsuitable for uses like sandwiches because it would fall apart. Nor was it a candidate for rolls, although muffins would have been doable. At any rate, what I wanted was a yeast-based beer bread.

When Thanksgiving came rolling around I decided beer rolls would be good with dinner as well as for making turkey sandwiches so I set out to craft a such a bread.

I wanted a whole wheat bread because I thought it would play best with the beer. But it's sometimes tricky to get a good rise out of 100 percent whole wheat (the fragments of bran tend to cut the gluten strands) so I needed to add some bread flour to increase the bread's lightness. I added sugar because beer and whole wheat tend to be a somewhat bitter and I chose Killian Red as the beer thinking it would be hearty enough to stand out and yet not overwhelming. Here's the recipe I came up with:
Whole Wheat Beer Bread
2 tsp instant yeast
1 tbsp sugar
12 oz warm beer
2 1/4 c whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c bread flour -- separated
1 1/2 tbsp butter -- melted
2 tsp salt
1 ea egg
1/2 tsp salt

Using the paddle attachment thoroughly combine yeast, whole wheat flour, 1 1/4 cup bread flour, 2 teaspoons salt, and sugar. Add butter to warm beer and, with mixer running, pour beer into dry ingredients. As the dough forms swap paddle attachment for dough hook.

Knead for six minutes at medium speed. The dough should be slightly sticky but should clear the bowl. Add additional flour if needed. Dump dough onto a floured board and knead another minute or two until dough is fairly smooth (it won't be as smooth as a white bread) and resilient. Allow to rest 5 to 10 minutes.

Clean and dry mixing bowl and spray with a nonstick spray. Shape dough into a ball and place seam-side down in bowl. Spritz top lightly with cooking spray and cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled in bulk -- 60 to 90 minutes.

Punch down dough and turn out onto floured board. Lightly knead dough and form into a flattened ball. Allow to rest five to 10 minutes.

To make a loaf, shape dough into a rectangle that will fir in a 9" x 4.25" greased loaf pan. Cover and allow to rise until doubled in bulk.

To make rolls, using a dough scraper cut dough in four equal quarters. Set three quarters aside and cover. Shape remaining quarter into a flattened ball and divide into four quarters. Shape each quarter in to a ball and place on a parchment-covered baking sheet. Flatten each ball. Repeat for remaining dough, cover, and allow to rise until rolls double in bulk.

Heat oven to 425F for loaf or 400F for rolls.

In small bowl, beat together egg and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Brush loaf or rolls with egg mixture and bake on middle oven rack. Rolls will need about 25 minutes, the load will need about 40 minutes. Monitor closely to avoid overcooking.

Cool on a wire rack.
The rolls turned out beautifully and were good with dinner as well as making great little turkey sandwiches. But there are a few things I would change the next time I make this.

First, I think I would use 2 tablespoons of honey instead of sugar and reduce the amount of beer by that amount. Mix the honey with the beer before adding to dry ingredients.

Second, I'd use a stout or porter instead of lager or ale in order to get more assertive beer flavor.

Third, the rolls were getting dry by day three and I think substituting oil for the butter might extend the shelf life another day

I just made some.

I recommended method 1. really quick and easy and turned out well.
I made the following changes.

I reduced the sugar to one spoonful
I added a small pinch of salt.
I added one egg.

I weighed the flour and added the egg, sugar, salt and most of the beer.
The consistency is more like a sticky cake batter than a well kneaded bread dough. It takes seconds to mix and you can't knead it.

here's the results.

pict0010eu8.jpg

I just made some beer bread myself and it came out amazingly delicious and moist!

Beer Bread

4 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp bakers yeast
5 tsp dextrose
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 12-ounce bottle of homebrew

Take the warm bottle of homebrew (I used a Peanut Butter Porter) and pour into bowl. Add yeast and dextrose. Cover and let sit for 15 minutes or so.

Alternatively, you could attempt to use the yeast in an unfiltered homebrew. Pour in bowl, add sugar, and cover and let sit. When it is foamy and smells yeasty, it should be done; I'm not sure how long that may take since I didn't try it this way.

Add the flour, oil, and salt. Mix well – you should have a sticky glob, much stickier than a normal ball of dough. Flour a surface. Remove dough from bowl and cut/shape as desired; rub dough a bit on the floured surface to reduce stickiness so you can actually shape it!

Put dough on greased pan. Preheat oven to 375 while dough rises to about one and a half its size. Bake for 45 minutes if a big loaf, 35 if three medium loaves, and less for small pieces. You can test is the bread is done by either tapping both the top and bottom to hear a hollow sound, or sticking a toothpick all the way in and having it come out clean.

Remove from the oven and let sit for at least 10 minutes. Enjoy!

0811082120xj6.jpg

Sorry for the crummy pic - all I have is a camera phone. :eek:

I am glad to see more Homebrewers making Beer Bread!

I don't think enough of us do so. It is so easy to make, and you can add in whatever spices, herbs, cheeses, dried fruits... even meat! (a dark stout, some parmesan cheese and some diced prosciutto: amazing) I make a loaf once a week!

The best thing you can do, though, is SIFT YOUR FLOUR! It instantly makes the beer much lighter, more like bread and less like cake.

I don't make it often enough, but it's damn good. Just about everyone in my family likes it. Word of advice: Avoid hoppy beers.

Making the rolls right now with a porter and the honey substituted for sugar. Just waiting for the rolls to rise before baking them. Man I can't wait...they smell so yeasty and awesome.

Making the rolls right now with the honey substitute. Just waiting for the rolls to rise before baking them. Man I can't wait...they smell so yeasty and awesome.

I make a loaf of beer bread with a Honey Wheat beer and substituted honey for sugar, and then ate it warm with a nice coat of honey-butter. It was like a big slice of Honey-Nut Cheerios bread

I made a basic beer bread using Edwort's Haus Pale Ale and it came out awesome. I made two loaves that day and used a miller lite in the other. Both were good, but the one with the Pale Ale was much better. The receipe I was using called for quite a bit of butter, but the butter taste went very well with the hoppiness. I would certainly make it again.

honey will act as a preservative. also using vitel glutten and ascorbic acid. when i started using this with the no kneed bread it tasted and lasted allot better.

I am going to try this and use half all purpose flour and 1/2 high gluten flour with yeast and let it sit in the fridge over night to develop the yeast. An Italian Pizza place sells me the high gluten flour and they let their pizza dough age this way for the next days pizza and their crust is the best of any pizza in the area. I will use my pale ale and honey too.

All I found with Google was the quick baking powder recipe, same as post one this thread. So I decided to wing it, then found this thread after I was comitted.

I used:

4 Tablespoons Butter
2 Tablespoons Sugar
1.5 Tablespoons salt

melt butter in one quart pyrex in microwave, stir in salt and sugar.

Add beer to two cup line on pyrex (about 16 ounces)

Heat gently in microwave to near body temperature, pitch one packet of bakers yeast..

Proof yeast 10-20 minutes, make sure it is multiplying.

In large mixing bowl 1 cup of bread flour, one cup of all purpose flour. Combine with liquid in Pyrex.

It was here I found this thread and added one egg for better sandwich bread.

Add more general purpose flour by the cup or half cup until ready to knead. I used ~5 cups total.

Knead 3-5 minutes.

Rise covered. Punch down, shape, proof. About 45 minutes at 350°F.

yeastybeerbread.JPG

Back