Bottling Delay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For reasons I can't explain, I primed my latest batch on Sunday, Sept. 18, it will be Thursday, Sept. 22 before I can bottle. Should I expect problems?

Interesting thread.

First off, cover it and put an airlock in it, as it WILL ferment.

This could be a tough situation, because you are taking a chance by adding MORE priming sugar when you do get a chance to bottle. Bottle bombs are likely cause you have no idea how much of that sugar was eaten by the yeasts.

Personally, I don't know what I'd do here. Let it ferment out all the way and prime again? Or take my chances and just bottle it up without adding anything else? I don't know.

Anyone else?

The only thing I can think of if to check your gravity right now, and see how it compares with your FG. That way you'll be able to tell if the sugar fermented out by bottling day. I'd think 4 days should be enough to ferment the sugar out.

~Edit...duh, just realised this was three days ago. Little late for a hydro reading now! Still, I'd take a hydro reading on bottling day. If it's the same, or lower than your measured FG, re-prime and bottle. Say a little prayer, and put the bottles in a secure area. :)

I'd leave it for a week at least and make sure I've got no airlock activity before priming a second time and botteling. No sense in taking any chances with bottle bombs. All you've done is boost the ABV a little.

Back