Cell Phone Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoedBrew

Reaction score
3 Gallons Apple Juice
30 ounces of Frozen organic Blackberries

First add Blackberries...Blackberries were thawed and soaked in vodka for 5 minutes, I poured off most of the Vodka and funneled them into the carboy

Next add as much apple juice as you think will fit in your carboy without exploding...Mine was unfiltered 100% apple juice, no additives, no concentrate, no potassium sorbate.

I rehydrated the Safale 04 yeast and added it, I covered the carboy for the first day with Sanitized Aluminum Foil...but that was blown off by day 2 and I left the top of the carboy uncovered for 2 days. It was pumping off so much CO2 it didn't matter...there is no infection in this one :)

This was a big hit at a party I just had. People loved it. It reminds me a bit of Edwort's applewine slightly, but the Blackberries add a nice flavor to it.

Enjoy

They're not native and a pest, they end up covering everything and killing the other plants. I've only ever tasted a blackberry once!

Brewed a 2 gallon version of this with fresh blackberries but ended up with slightly less blackberries since those with signs of mould etc were thrown out before soaking in vodka! Hit the final gravity of 1.002 and bottled after 21 days in primary. They've been bottle fermented over the last week. How long would you recommend conditioning them for?

I let this version (with blackberries sit in the carboy for 6 weeks. It was tasty after 2 more weeks of bottle conditioning, but it keeps getting better. I just had a bottle a week ago at about 3 months in bottle...Its not bad right at 6-8 weeks, but it does get better.
Mine also finished at 1.002.
You'll know its done when the blackberries are nice and white :) your cider will be pinkish-purple.

Just wondering, what's the final ABV on this? Or at least what you think it was lol? (As I can see you didn't post any hydrometer readings)

oldmate said:
They're not native and a pest, they end up covering everything and killing the other plants. I've only ever tasted a blackberry once!

Wow its crazy what we take for granted

Bugeaud - the final ABV was 6.5%
It turned out really good but the Blackerry flavor faded after about 4-6 months...
It just kept the pink color.

Back