Kegerator Conversion with Danby DAR440BL?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GloHoppa

Reaction score
I was looking at some decent fridges to do a kegerator build with and I came across this little guy:

FRVXLURPIJQQ.JPG

Has anyone ever done a conversion with this fridge?
Link to the specs here

I've never done one with that fridge, but the link says it's only 4.4 cu ft. That'll be a squeeze, and personally I wouldn't really go for anything below 5.0 cu ft.

If it were me, I'd try to get the dimensions of the inner depth and width before pulling the trigger on getting the fridge to see if it could at least fit two.

Although, 1 tap is better than no taps. Decisions decisions.

I spoke too soon. I just googled the model number with kegerator and I found this conversion

the only thing that worries me is that it doesn't seem like it leaves much room for the CO2 cylinder...then again I think a single tap tower is better for me because of the fact I get a lot of free beer from work...

Decisions decisions is right! I need more advice!

I bet it would be snug, but I think you could fit a tank in the back on the compressor. Even if it doesn't fit, it's a simple procedure to add some sort of mount on the side and drill a hole for the CO2 line.

Either way, it's nice to know that it can fit two kegs. Should be a good first kegerator if you're getting a deal.

I've converted this fridge, and it does have room for two corny's and a 5 lb CO2 tank on the bank hump in the fridge. It's tight, but it certainly works!! Good luck!

Sweet! Croid I just PM'ed you for more info, so check it out if you read this first. The next question would be where did everyone buy their kegerator conversion kits? As far as I have seen most people on here go through keg-connection but I see the cheapest prices on beveragefactory.com?

Opinions?

I split my Kegerator conversion between Midwest and Keg Con. As the out and out complete kits I looked at just didn't give me what I wanted. So I customised it.

Picture maybe next week... got to get tap handles first... well and load the beer that's patiently waiting in Primary and secondary loaded to keg..:ban:

CHeers
:mug:

does anyone know what precausions I need to take before drilling into the top of the DAR440BL fridge? Or better yet, does anyone know where the freon lines are and if they run across the top?

Will the Danby DAR440BL fit a 1/4 barrel on the hump if I create some type of support? Will it fit along with a 5LB Co2? Thanks in advance!

Things you need to know about this fridge.

make sure you are not hitting the thermo line when you drill from top. its the line that you see on the inside.

never drill a hole on the side,
there is a line that run across the top by the door probably 1 -2 inches from the front.

when you fit 2 corny, you need to deal with the light switch. its simple.

I cut a piece of cutting board to use as support on the inside. through bolted the tower. now i use the cutting board to mount my manifold.
my 20# tank sit outside, I had to drill a hole on the hump

for sure that you need to modify the door. just bunch of screws to change the panel.

Wale - Can you tell me the interior dimensions of your fridge with the door panel removed? How tall/wide is the hump in back? Thanks!

I'm curious about this fridge too.

Will it fit a 6G carboy for cold crashing or lager? On that note will it get cold enough to do this.

I'd like to buy it for cold crashing now and build the kegerator eventually.

thanks

I made this a while back for the guys on BeerAdvocate, but they didn't seem too interested, but looks like people here enjoy the DIY aspect more.

http://s404.photobucket.com/albums/pp124/beersiff/Kegerator build/?albumview=slideshow#

I don't give all the exacting details, but hope it helps or at least entertains someones beer DIY bone. It holds two 5 gallon cornies and a 5 lb CO2 tank with dual primary regulators no problem. I use a bungie cord to keep the CO2 secured.

I will be attemping this job, this evening when i get off work, i'm like a little school boy. I can't wait to get this running.,...

Trooper, if you go back in this thread I put up a photobucket series that has some pics of my build. As well, someone else linked another build. Both should give you some good pointers (if you read my captions) to help your project. Make sure to get a hole saw, it will save a lot of time and make for a much cleaner end product.

I used a Danby with the top freezer. i had to carefully bend the cold plate down so it was verticle against the back. with the Danby, it was easier to do this as the freon line is a little more flexible. I had to modify/move the thermostat controler farther back. i also mounted a computer fan in a hobby box with a duct to blow cold air up the draft tower, which is mounted to the top of my backyard bar. I need to find a better blower fan though, to get more cold air up their to help with foaming. My CO2 tank with dual guages fits on the step. it fits 2 corneys tightly, but all is good. I also added a Ranco digital controler, to more precisely control the interior temps

Well i successfully build this kegerator, and it works great, i'm still trying to tweak the psi level, but it is working good, i find that my tower is cold to the touch and i do not think i'll have to put in a fan to blow cool air up to the tower, i will be uploading pics soon for people can look at, My plan is to add a second tap/ spout for the wife can get her coolers out of.

I am thinking about making a kegerator out of this fridge and just wondered how well the original thermostat keeps temps. Has anyone had any experience putting a Love controller in this one?

Trooper there are a few sets of instructions floating around the internet on how to do this. Which one did you follow - or did you just DIY?

Does anyone know if this fridge will fit a typical 6.5 gal Ale Pale? I know the 6 gal carboy does not fit.

It only fits a cornie by removing the molded door panel due to the step up in the back for the compressor. So that gives you roughly 9 inches of depth to work with in front and another 6-8 on the compressor step; however, that is too short to fit much anything on top of it other than a 5lb CO2 bottle.

I think the 4.4 cu All-Fridge Danby DAR125SLDD is more or less the same fridge as this. Has anyone else seen this fridge?

Anyone else hear of using the Danby DAR125SLDD
Model for a kegorator? They have them here for $149 and I am thinking of getting one to try.

CTS: I can help. I use the DAR125 SLDD. It will fit two kegs no problem. All you have to do is remove the plastic shelves fromt he door, which was all of 6 screws. Then just reattach the rubber gasket to the door and you are set. I used adhesive, but I think'll have to screw it in because the adehsive I used wasn't very good and it sometimes comes off.

I haven't installed a tower, so I have no advice in that dept. I just use picnic taps. I ran the gas line in through the drain hole. I had to drill it out a bit because it had a plug in it (and I wanted the fridge to drain and not be plugged by the gas hose). I use a 20lb C02 tank, so there was no way I was fitting that in too!

CTS: I can help. I use the DAR125 SLDD. It will fit two kegs no problem. All you have to do is remove the plastic shelves fromt he door, which was all of 6 screws. Then just reattach the rubber gasket to the door and you are set. I used adhesive, but I think'll have to screw it in because the adehsive I used wasn't very good and it sometimes comes off.

I haven't installed a tower, so I have no advice in that dept. I just use picnic taps. I ran the gas line in through the drain hole. I had to drill it out a bit because it had a plug in it (and I wanted the fridge to drain and not be plugged by the gas hose). I use a 20lb C02 tank, so there was no way I was fitting that in too!

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated!!

I will be planning to use a tower eventually in it. I have a 5lb co2 tank with regulator.....would I be able to fit that in there with the 2 kegs. I believe there is a shelf in the back that I could use.....

Thanks for the help!

I would measure the circumference of your 5lb tank and see if fits on the shelf. If it sticks out very much, it'll be pretty tight. In fact if it stuck out by two inches you might be up the creek.

If you told me the circumference, I'll try to find something that is a similar size and try it out for you and let you know how I made it out.

On the other hand, I am assuming you are buying at Costco (where i bought mine and paid the same price), who will take anything back. You could put the shelves back in if it didn't fit and return it without a problem. The other option is to run your gas line through the drain and have your tank outside as I did.

I would measure the circumference of your 5lb tank and see if fits on the shelf. If it sticks out very much, it'll be pretty tight. In fact if it stuck out by two inches you might be up the creek.

If you told me the circumference, I'll try to find something that is a similar size and try it out for you and let you know how I made it out.

On the other hand, I am assuming you are buying at Costco (where i bought mine and paid the same price), who will take anything back. You could put the shelves back in if it didn't fit and return it without a problem. The other option is to run your gas line through the drain and have your tank outside as I did.

Hey thanks!

The circumference is 16 1/2 inches and is 19 inches high. I am thinking that I will be stopping in at Costco Monday night and pick one up. Like you said they are pretty good at returning items......what a price though, $139.00. That is cheap!!

Sounds good, I'll check it for you tonight when I get home and let you know. I paid $149 in February and it can't really complain so far. It's a little loud in my front room, but you get past that when your pour yourself your first pint!

Well i bought the one from costco....and it all works. 2 kegs and a co2 tank.....tight fit, but it all fits non the less!!

P1000623.jpg

P1000620.jpg

P1000622.jpg

Remember, you need to disable the light now that the door shelving has been removed. There's nothing to flip the switch and turn the light off when shutting the door.

Well i bought the one from costco....and it all works. 2 kegs and a co2 tank.....tight fit, but it all fits non the less!!

P1000623.jpg

P1000620.jpg

P1000622.jpg

Back