Raw Vegan brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeast is vegan. And for raw temperatures just can't go above 92 -118*f (varies depending on what raw diet you follow).

Yeast is vegan. And for raw temperatures just can't go above 92 -118*f (varies depending on what raw diet you follow).

Meh, depends on how the person looks at it, it could easily be non-vegan if they consider the exploitation of a living organism as being against their belief system.

I know a guy who believes this way, I just think it's silly.

All of my vegan friends drink beer...though we did send some people searching for vegan beer once..they came back an hour later, unsuccessful

we should all just start sneaking meat products into all the vegan diets and brew them porterhouse porters.

Meh, depends on how the person looks at it, it could easily be non-vegan if they consider the exploitation of a living organism as being against their belief system.

I know a guy who believes this way, I just think it's silly.

Does he eat fruits and veggies? Those are living organisms.

Somebody make it happen.

So you wouldn't have to worry too much about fat messing up head retention, but i'd still use campden tablets on the vegans before racking the beer onto them in secondary.I bet the beer will taste like patchouli.:drunk:

A vegan beer though is not too difficult to do, just brew as normal then instead of using gelatin clarifiers you use something like Irish Moss as your clarifier, and that would be the only real step that may cause issues for a vegan in a homebrew situation. Unless they see the ingestion of yeast as being an issue, then they just need to give up on life.

An all grain beer really doesn't leave much to not be considered vegan.

Vegan is the avoidance of animal or animal by products, yeast are fungi - beer is vegan unless you use certain fining agents like gelatin or isinglass

Raw however would be the issue, I believe the temps used in kilning would no longer constitute raw even if you found a means to not boil

This conversation is entertaining, now if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to my steak dinner with a side of veal parmesan

Yeast is vegan. No animals, no brains, no muscles, no feelings, etc. Most homebrew is or can be vegan without animal fining agents. Just make sure there is no honey.

Yeast is vegan. No animals, no brains, no muscles, no feelings, etc. Most homebrew is or can be vegan without animal fining agents. Just make sure there is no honey.

Wait, what? Are vegans against honey now?

EDIT - googling it, it seems honey isn't vegan because it's "forced slavery" . . . I guess soon they'll be protesting to give bees the right to vote.

Honestly, these fads are as confusing as they are retarded.

NervousDad said:
Aren't all plants pollinated by bees, so isn't that slavery.

Bees would do that in the wild anyway. I think the vegan view is more about stealing the honey reserves. I wonder if there are vegan bears that shun other bears for raiding a natural hive for the honey. At least human bee keepers know how much honey the hive actually needs for winter-over and leaves that behind.

Bobby_M said:
Bees would do that in the wild anyway. I think the vegan view is more about stealing the honey reserves. I wonder if there are vegan bears that shun other bears for raiding a natural hive for the honey. At least human bee keepers know how much honey the hive actually needs for winter-over and leaves that behind.

It is a actually simply because honey is an animal product, and vegans don't eat any animal products. But some vegans will eat honey.

This has been an educational thread.

I'd like to hear more about the raw/unheated thing. Is that a nutrition thing? (heat destroys vitamins) or a cruelty thing? (burning evil fossil fuels)?

If it's the nutrition thing, I get it for veggies, but not for grain. Raw grain is fairly toxic...it's the malting, mashing, boiling and fermenting that makes it more tolerable to our systems.

The hostility towards vegans here is pretty bizarre. Considering how marginal homebrewing in the wider world, you think we'd be a little more sympathetic to people with weird food preferences.

Ehh... I'm not hostile towards vegans in general, I'm hostile towards the ones I've met. I know it sounds bad, but I've not met one kind vegan. Ever.

I had a course in college with a girl who was a vegan. It was a philosophy class. A question could be posed about the morality of the seatbelt law and the girl would answer in the same form every time: "I'm a vegan, and..." And she had the most holier-than-thou attitude about everything. Nasty looks any time you expressed a differing opinion. Ugh.

HOW DOES THAT RELATE?

Anyhow, like others had said before, vegan is the easy part. Raw food diet, uhhh, good luck.

Ehh... I'm not hostile towards vegans in general, I'm hostile towards the ones I've met. I know it sounds bad, but I've not met one kind vegan. Ever.

I had a course in college with a girl who was a vegan. It was a philosophy class. A question could be posed about the morality of the seatbelt law and the girl would answer in the same form every time: "I'm a vegan, and..." And she had the most holier-than-thou attitude about everything. Nasty looks any time you expressed a differing opinion. Ugh.

HOW DOES THAT RELATE?

Anyhow, like others had said before, vegan is the easy part. Raw food diet, uhhh, good luck.

I'd bet real cash dollars that you know numerous kind vegans. The thing is, you just don't know you know them, because you don't know that they're vegans. If your full experience is defined by people who preach their dietary habits every chance they get, you're facing a serious selection bias problem. College kids in particular have a tendency to be holier-than-thou about anything they can get their hands on, and veganism is just one more vocabulary for that.

A bartender I know hates homebrewers because "every single one he has met" (which is to say, the ones he knows about) act like stuck-up jackasses when they come into his bar. The problem is simple: The non-stuck-up-jackasses don't immediately start telling him about how much better homebrew is than the swill he's got on tap.

Homebrewers have a reputation in the public mind not unlike that of vegans, and for exactly the same reasons. Just seems to me we should try to work past that crap.

I'd bet real cash dollars that you know numerous kind vegans. The thing is, you just don't know you know them, because you don't know that they're vegans. If your full experience is defined by people who preach their dietary habits every chance they get, you're facing a serious selection bias problem. College kids in particular have a tendency to be holier-than-thou about anything they can get their hands on, and veganism is just one more vocabulary for that.

A bartender I know hates homebrewers because "every single one he has met" (which is to say, the ones he knows about) act like stuck-up jackasses when they come into his bar. The problem is simple: The non-stuck-up-jackasses don't immediately start telling him about how much better homebrew is than the swill he's got on tap.

Homebrewers have a reputation in the public mind not unlike that of vegans, and for exactly the same reasons. Just seems to me we should try to work past that crap.

Like I said, every vegan I have met, is a jerk. I didn't say I disliked vegans in general. If I know them and don't know they are a vegan... well, I don't know them. I might have met them, but if I've never shared a meal with a person, I don't consider that knowing them.

I agree with most of what you've said, but my full experience with vegans IS bad. I'm not selecting anything. No bias whatsoever.

Like I said, every vegan I have met, is a jerk. I didn't say I disliked vegans in general. If I know them and don't know they are a vegan... well, I don't know them. I might have met them, but if I've never shared a meal with a person, I don't consider that knowing them.

I agree with most of what you've said, but my full experience with vegans IS bad. I'm not selecting anything. No bias whatsoever.

When I say you've got a selection bias, I'm not accusing you of being a bad or unreasonable person. I'm saying that treating your "full experience" as representative is misleading. Wikipedia: Selection Bias

Like I said, public opinion about homebrewers is generally not that great. My full experience of homebrewers before I started brewing was pretty damn awful. I'm glad I got over it. :mug:

When I say you've got a selection bias, I'm not accusing you of being a bad or unreasonable person. I'm saying that treating your "full experience" as representative is misleading. Wikipedia: Selection Bias

Like I said, public opinion about homebrewers is generally not that great. My full experience of homebrewers before I started brewing was pretty damn awful. I'm glad I got over it. :mug:

I know what selection bias is. But like I said, I still don't use my experience as a basis of judgement for the whole group.

And I honestly don't care if or when I meet a person I like who happens to be a vegan. Dietary habits are weird things, and to each his own. They make no difference when it comes to becoming friends, at least in my book.

TyTanium said:
This has been an educational thread.

I'd like to hear more about the raw/unheated thing. Is that a nutrition thing? (heat destroys vitamins) or a cruelty thing? (burning evil fossil fuels)?

If it's the nutrition thing, I get it for veggies, but not for grain. Raw grain is fairly toxic...it's the malting, mashing, boiling and fermenting that makes it more tolerable to our systems.
It's a nutritional thing. My wife has done raw food before. It has to do with enzymes that are in food that hasn't been heated. And usually, grains aren't really consumed in a raw food diet. If they are it is in a sprouted state.
JordanThomas said:
I bet they don't use sponges either.
Now you've crossed the line from diet to lifestyle. There are some vegans who won't wear leather on their shoes. But that is a social statement rather than a health statement. As far as sponges, the ones we buy in the store are all synthetic. Vegan friendly. I think you will find that veganism is a lot like a religion, and as such there are a multitude of interpretations regarding what you can and can't do.

It's a nutritional thing. My wife has done raw food before. It has to do with enzymes that are in food that hasn't been heated. And usually, grains aren't really consumed in a raw food diet. If they are it is in a sprouted state.

Now you've crossed the line from diet to lifestyle. There are some vegans who won't wear leather on their shoes. But that is a social statement rather than a health statement. As far as sponges, the ones we buy in the store are all synthetic. Vegan friendly. I think you will find that veganism is a lot like a religion, and as such there are a multitude of interpretations regarding what you can and can't do.

Hmm, I fail to see the distinction. Veganism is a lifestyle choice, is it not? The dietary aspect is equally important as the things that are used around the house or worn on the body, aren't they? I wasn't trying to make fun with the sponge statement, rather, make a point. The point being, it seems like a slipperly slope to include everything in the Animal kingdom, because it gets REALLY messy when you have to exclude things like, (maybe a bad example) sponges.

There are some vegans who won't wear leather on their shoes.

If they wear leather, they are a vegetarian not a vegan.

vegetarian = diet
vegan = lifestyle

You seem to be aware of that, but it is a pet peeve of mine for some reason ;)

Back