Adding Ingredients to Brew Target

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeverTime

Reaction score
I use brewtarget, and am very happy with it, except that I don't know how to add apple juice to it. Does anyone understand what to put in all the textboxes? I know the volume and amount of sugar in the apple juice, and I could measure SG if needed.

I just made a cider and was wondering the same thing. I think I kind of figured it out but it seems like a bit of a hack. I measured the gravity of the raw juice with a refractometer and it came out to 1.053 and I'm doing a 3 gallon batch.

When adding a new ingredient the "extract" seemed to be the best choice as liquid malt extract is closer to juice than DME, grain or adjuncts (e.g. flaked oats). I set the default volume to 8 lbs (since I found online that 1 gal of water = about 8lbs) and the yield % to 14. I left the rest of the fields blank.

When I add 24 lbs (3 gallons) the gravity came out about right but my calculated batch size (in the main recipe section) was 2.037 gallons. To fix this I created a new equipment entry in which I set the batch size to 3 gallons and put in 0.963 gal the final top up water field.

As you can see this is a little goofy, but at least now I've got the right batch volume and OG of the juice with which I can start adding on other sugars, yeast, etc to get an accurate picture of the final recipe.

I did this a while ago, and if I remember correctly, this is what I did:

Weigh the apple juice (or take SG and multiply SG x weight of an equal amount of water)
From nutrition info, get the sugar per serving and # of servings
(sugar per serving) x (# of servings) = (total sugar weight in juice)
(total sugar weight in juice) / (actual weight of the juice) = Yield %

Enter the Yield % into BrewTarget and you should be good to go. Mine is entered as a grain, and that seems to get me an accurate gravity prediction because I still use it for making cider and apfelwine.

Back