Mini Bus or Terminal Block?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
I see a lot of wiring diagrams and builds using terminal blocks....but the way they are being used, it makes more sense to use a minibus as a way to distribute power to the panel.

Making jumpers on a terminal block seems to be more labor intensive, but the terminal blocks look to be a fraction of the price of a minibus....$2 vs $12....I have also seem power distribution blocks for around $12 that look like they would be a clean wire management choice....

So what do you guys think?:confused:

You can use these:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#terminal-blocks/=9o9mp4
Or these:
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Terminal_Blocks/Standard_DIN-Rail_Terminal_Blocks_%28order_by_Block_Type%29/Single-level_Terminal_Blocks_-a-_Accessories/10_AWG_%28EURO_4%29/DN-T10-A

They make jumpers that you screw down to connect multiple blocks together - As many points as you need - Even odd numbers :mug:

They are cheap too, when you compare them to 30 amp terminal strips. $0.20 per terminal. Jumper 4 of them together and you have 8 30 amp terminals for $3.00

So what kinda terminal blocks are you guys goin with? 300V 30A? I've seen good deals on ebay, I can get 4 blocks (2 hot, 1 neutral, and 1 grnd) for like $10. Then if I boutght a pack or 2 of these jumper plates, I should be good, right?

Wow, that's great. I think it's crazy how the DIN-Mountable stuff gets so expensive.....kinda like the tri-clover of electronics :) Actually, I'm thinking about gluing components down where I can....unless it's a heat transfer thing like using heat sink grease on SSRs....

ScubaSteve, I use Wago's spring loaded blocks. No screws, you just stick a fiberglass screwdriver into one hole and the stick the wire into the other, pull the 'bone' out and it grabs the wire. No screws to come loose, etc etc. They offer different sizes for different gauge wires. The cool thing is they have little bus clips that connect the blocks together, you just push em in and you're done.

Now all the manufacturers have a spring clip version of their blocks, I just happen to use the wago 280 series the most. Just search for wago 280
Here's some 4bangers. all the pins on one block are tied together.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wago-280-626-St...ultDomain_0&hash=item5adc2f36a6#ht_3094wt_905

and here are the jumpers
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wago-280-402-Ju...ultDomain_0&hash=item5adc2ee015#ht_2761wt_905

I used the same terminal blocks as Walker, but I used a couple different sizes. One thing I found is that a lot of suppliers want to sell the terminal blocks in fairly large quantities (like 50), Mouser.com will sell 1 each if you want.

ScubaSteve, I use Wago's spring loaded blocks. No screws, you just stick a fiberglass screwdriver into one hole and the stick the wire into the other, pull the 'bone' out and it grabs the wire.
I used the very large once for an e-brewery control I built.
Panel4-1.jpg

My standard terminal blocks for power distribution are the double level feed through, 30 A, 600 V DN-D10X-A with external jumpers and non power distribution DN-D10-A.

Automation Direct
Power distribution - Non power distribution
m_dnd10x.jpg
m_dnd10.jpg

Both types in action
100_0048-1.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I used the very large once for an e-brewery control I built.
Panel4-1.jpg

My standard terminal blocks for power distribution are the double level feed through, 30 A, 600 V DN-D10X-A with external jumpers and non power distribution DN-D10-A.

Automation Direct
Power distribution - Non power distribution
m_dnd10x.jpg
m_dnd10.jpg

Both types in action
100_0048-1.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I looked at some like that during my build. I figured I'd need more of a cabinet than an enclosure for that, and those were a little beyond my requirements --spatially and economically. I do like that nice clean layout, with the all DIN mount cabinet components look to it. Looks like nice work. :mug:

TB

Back