No Citra? or Simcoe? Zythos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gargon

Reaction score
well just the other day ran to the HB shop to make a IPA with citra backup hop was simcoe and couldn't get either. went with Zythos there IPA hop blend replacement. it turned out awsome!

Zythonian IPA
American IPA

Type: All Grain
Date: 2/14/2012
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Beau
Boil Size: 5.72 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 81.63 %
1.00 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 8.16 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 6.12 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.08 %
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 40.9 IBU
0.50 oz Zythos [10.50 %] (30 min) Hops 12.7 IBU
0.50 oz Zythos [10.50 %] (25 min) Hops 11.5 IBU
1.00 oz Zythos [10.50 %] (20 min) Hops 20.0 IBU
1.00 oz Zythos [10.50 %] (10 min) Hops 12.0 IBU
1.00 oz Zythos [10.50 %] (5 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body Total Grain Weight: 12.25 lb
Sparge Water: 1.22 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 3.83 gal of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 2.14 gal of water at 196.6 F 168.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 3.8 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Any one else try using this hop?

Haven't tried it yet, but good to know. I'm always looking for a substitute for those hops.

Thanks

I just got a pound of Zythos in today and was looking for a mostly Zythos recipe to give the hops a taste.

Did you dry hop this batch at all?

Sounds yummy... may try it this weekend!

Ritebrew.com has ounces of citra, simcoe, centennial, and Amarillo at reasonable prices.

I did an IPA with all Zythos from 20 on in including dry hop. Mine is very peach, pear, apple kinda fruity. It's not the dank hops I thought it would be. Not sure if I'm into it. I'll use them up in a wheat or Belgian I guess. Not bad just not what I thought. I'd love to know what hops and % the mix is.

I did a zythos pale a few months back and didn't get anything like citra or simcoe. Its a nice blend of hops that lends a firm bitterness and 'hoppy beer' flavor but has none of the standout characteristics of citra or simcoe. You might try falconers' flight next time instead. FF has more citra/simcoe flavors and is, when compared to zythos, a way more interesting hop blend.

I did an IPA with all Zythos from 20 on in including dry hop. Mine is very peach, pear, apple kinda fruity. It's not the dank hops I thought it would be. Not sure if I'm into it. I'll use them up in a wheat or Belgian I guess. Not bad just not what I thought. I'd love to know what hops and % the mix is.

Me too! I felt like my APA was an estery mess. Do you have your recipe handy?

I don't think it can be too much citra as it would defeat the purpose of an economical blend.

I think the bulk of the hop is a new hop but with some of the old favorites thrown in to round out the flavor. However, it doesn't seem to pack too much of a punch, at least in a pale ale. Perhaps more ABV and some dry hopping in my recipe would make it better, but Zythos wasn't cutting it all by itself.

adc123 said:
I don't think it can be too much citra as it would defeat the purpose of an economical blend.

I think the bulk of the hop is a new hop but with some of the old favorites thrown in to round out the flavor. However, it doesn't seem to pack too much of a punch, at least in a pale ale. Perhaps more ABV and some dry hopping in my recipe would make it better, but Zythos wasn't cutting it all by itself.

I used zythos as the "only" hop in a pale wheat ale and was seriously underwhelmed... I preferred the same malt bill with citra and amarillo that I had done previously by far

The stone fruit aromas with Zythos I get would probably go well with a fruity english strain. It would at least reinforce the yeast's ester profile.

I had planned an APA with all Zythos, but after reading that others were underwhelmed with the aroma of Zythos, I decided a divide one ounce .5oz as a FWH, and .5oz at 2 minute boil in a APA recipe this weekend. Here are the basics...

10 lbs 2 row
1 lbs torrified wheat
1 lbs 40L Crystal

.5 Amarillio FWH
.5 oz Cascade FWH
.5 oz Zythos FWH
1 oz Centennial 60
.5 oz Amarillo 2
.5 oz Cascade 2
.5 oz Zythos 2

I plan to dry hop with 1 oz Cascade and 1 oz Amarillo.

I will post my impressions once it is ready.

FWIW, I have brewed a similar recipe using Falconers as the only FWH and also the only dry hop and it was delicious.

Back