Aging Commmercial Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DemonIAm

Reaction score
I have a few bottles of a hellerbock "the Gift" from Starr Hill brewery that I've been sitting on since Christmas. I'm pretty sure it is filtered, so I don't know if aging it is doing any good. Should I sit on it for a bit more or just drink it?

That looks like one to drink sooner rather than later - fairly low ABV coupled with lagering tells me that it's probably not going to get much better with age.

Of course, I'm not one to cellar beers in the first place. The late Michael Jackson (the beer guy, not the pop singer) had a quote that goes something like, "If you see a beer, do it a favor, and drink it. Beer was not meant to age." I like his philosophy.

drank one 750ml bottle, was too good to let sit. debating on killing the next one

Big alcohol beers are nice to age because over time the alcohol taste mellows and actually begins to register as sweetness. Hop character and IBUs will drop out over time. If you're dealing with a sour beer, or brett then the character in the beer will also mature and develop (think Orval)....

Unless you're trying to develop one of those things in the beer... then you don't need to age it.

Back