New to Kegging - need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got a two keg kegerator from Keg Connection.

When trying to set it up, no matter what I do, I can't seem to get any CO2 to flow to the kegs.

The CO2 tank is full, the regulator shows a full tank and is set to 30 PSI.

The gas disconnect is attached to the keg, but nothing flows.

I have tried the stopcocks in all positions, but cannot get the keg to pressurize.

Any help is appreciated. I am getting very frustrated.

The valve on the regulator will flow when it is inline with the hose going to the keg.

To check, reduce the pressure to 5 psi, remove the gray ball lock and depress the valve on the inside to see if you have flowage. A AA battery works well.

CO2 tank is open. No flow when pressing valve on the inside of the disconnect.

There is gas to the regulator - It reads pressure and if you close the CO2 tank and take off the regulator there is a hiss of escaping gas. But I can't seem to get any gas to flow to the keg or gas disconnect.

The disconnect is on the "in" side of the keg.

I get the feeling I'm missing something stupid, but I can't figure it out

Do you have an on off switch coming out of the reg on your line? Next step would be taking apart the connect, but I don't see how that could get clogged if it's a new setup..

Post a pic of the regulator.

I can't run my kegerator, but I can post pics on the 'net.

regulator.jpg

splitter.jpg

BTW the regulator connects to the top right line on the splitter (with the stopcock), not the one at 12 o'clock.

Just to try and isolate the problem; Can you easily SKIP the distribution block and connect a line straight to the corny? If that works have to check the distributor; do you have both feed lines hooked up to a corny that holds pressure? Do you hear any noise or feel movement in any of your lines?

Not quite sure of your quote about where gas in is; personally I would have the gas in going to the one without a switch, and the gas out the ones with a switch. This could be the issue if they have check valves, and you have gas in going to one with a switch. If that is the case, switch it and you should be good!

I would pull the line off the bottom of the regulator. If no gas comes out then you must have a bad regulator.

Not quite sure of your quote about where gas in is; personally I would have the gas in going to the one without a switch, and the gas out the ones with a switch. This could be the issue if they have check valves, and you have gas in going to one with a switch. If that is the case, switch it and you should be good!

That is what I would have done, that's not the way it came.

fifelee said:
I would pull the line off the bottom of the regulator. If no gas comes out then you must have a bad regulator.

I will do that tomorrow if nobody can tell me what I'm doing wrong (if anything).

New thought: Does the splitter have some sort of valve to prevent backflow? If so, was it assembled (it came assembled, BTW) incorrectly.

splitter-1.jpg

As it came, hose 2 was the CO2 "In" from the regulator. Hoses 1 and 3 were "out" to the kegs.

I disconnected hose 1 from the splitter and connected it directly to the regulator and everything seems to work well. IMO this means the problem lies in the splitter.

I think I will try to put the CO2 "in" to where hose 1 currently is, and plug the kegs to hoses 2 and 3.

What do you think?

Ok, if it came assembled as #2 being the gas "in" port, then they had a brain fart and assembled it incorrectly. All of the valves have one-way check valves internally, so that's why it wasn't working. Looks like you fixed it. :)

I recently met Todd @ Keg Connection and he's an awesome guy. He mentioned they've been working 12 - 14hr days for the last month filling orders so I can understand how a simple mistake like this can happen.

BTW, if you had posted a complete picture of the assembly someone would have spotted the problem almost instantly. ;)

Back