fermenting temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killer_mpg

Reaction score
So two days ago I made 5 gallons of Apfelwein with 1 lbs of brow sugar. I used some champagne yeast (Lalvin #EC-1118). Today it is really cooking and I was curious to know if it was possible for the yeast to cook it self?

I don't think that's possible with fermentation-produced heat alone. The yeast will tend to get more and more active with higher temperatures until the temperature begins to stress the yeast. As the yeast get stressed, activity will decrease, and so will the heat they're producing.

Well, you make yeast starters with 100 F water, so I'm assuming as long as your fermenter doesn't get above 100 F your yeast will be fine. BUT from what I've gathered, fermenting at temps too far above 70 F will result in a faster finishing fermentation AND off flavors that you don't want. If you have a basement that'd probably be the best place to stick it. My batches have done fine with the 70 - 73 F ambient temps in my basement. Fermentation itself should never produce a noticeable increase in heat. Wild yeasts or bacteria will (ie: compost piles get really hot while beer fermentation should carry out at near ambient temperatures) Get yourself a dual-scale temp strip and stick it on the side of your fermenter. That's a great way to know what temp you are fermenting at.

Thanks for the posts. I think I fermented this batch a little quickly. This is my first try ill be bottling in a couple days. Any recommendations?
I think the room temp is about 70-72 so i think i will be ok.

a vigorous fermentation will increase the temperature a few degrees above ambient. it's best to keep your ales under 70 F whenever possible, but you can make some good beers at 75 or less. I'm not really sure what temp with the apfelwein.

you really shouldn't be bottling that yet. As EdWort says: "After at least 4 weeks, you can keg or bottle, but it is ok to leave it in the carboy for another month or so. Racking to a secondary is not necessary."

http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=33986

Back