Side by side No Chill results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonedef131

Reaction score
I had not seen a side by side experiment so far so I went ahead and did one with a Special Bitter. It was a ten gallon split, with the exact same starter split between the two of them. I was trying to keep this as consistent as possible between the two of them, the recipe was as follows:

Amount ItemType
16.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)Grain
1.00 lb Amber Malt (22.0 SRM)Grain
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Challenger [6.30 %] (60 min)Hops
1.00 oz Challenger [6.30 %] (30 min)Hops
1.00 oz Challenger [6.30 %] (6 min)Hops (supposed to be 10 min but I missed that addition :()
Thames Valley ale yeast

I ran the first half through the plate chiller, aerated and pitched at 65. The other half I just ran directly into a keg and gave it the exact same treatment once it was down to temp. There was quite a bit of break in the bottom of the keg, so I racked off the top of that and it was perfectly clear. Then I aerated and pitched the other half of the starter and fermented it at the exact same temp.

It's been a few weeks now and I have been drinking on these trying to get a feel for any differences that might be there. I have taken this and done side by side tests with my BJCP club and our regular homebrew club meetings to get other peoples opinions. One thing to keep in mind is that there was some bitterness differences to be expected since the no chill sat at much warmer temps for an extended amount of time. Anyway, here is what we have observed so far.

1. Chill Haze - Complete nonsense, the clarity on these two beers is identical. This didn't surprise me at all because it has been common knowledge that cold break is a function of how cold the wort/beer gets, not how fast it gets cold. Now if you are doing lagers or a certain style of beer that you don't want cold break in the fermenter for you may want to think about racking the wort off of the coldbreak. With an immersion chiller you can leave the cold break in the kettle, with no chill it all comes to the fermenter and it would require another rack before pitching to remove it. This is something that most people don't care about and even commercial breweries end up with all their cold break in the fermenter because they use plate chillers, just something I thought I would mention.

2. Contamination - Not an issue if you are careful, which you need to be even with conventional chilling. I used a keg, which functioned similar to the "cubes" others have used in that you can put 212F wort directly into it and roll it around to sanitize all the surfaces. So in some ways there is less chance of airborne organisms falling in, but if they do somehow show up before you pitch they would have quite a jump start on the yeast.

3. Bitterness - This one people already take into consideration and reduce bitterness when formulating the recipes. Strangely enough the bitterness on these two beers was not that different. In fact, about half the people who tasted them blind thought the chilled version was more bitter. People perceive bitterness differently and in this case there was not enough difference for people to pick up on which was which based on that alone. BTW this beer was about 38 IBUs calculated by Beersmith.

4. DMS - This was not detected in either beer, but I am still going to call it inconclusive due to the malts used in this beer. This was a standard 60 min boil with no special steps taken to reduce DMS, but it's not a style that it would easily come through in anyway. In my opinion another experiment with a pale lager would be necessary in order to pass judgement on this. If I had to guess I would say with a 100+ min boil you could get enough SMM converted that it wouldn't be an issue though.

5. Flavor/Aroma - The most noticeable differences were found here, many of which can be considered good or bad depending on your personal preference. The aroma in the chilled ale was much much cleaner, there was some hop aroma and a pretty clean bready character from the malts. The aroma in the unchilled beer was somewhat muddled and it was very difficult to pick up any hops or to distinguish what sort of malt was being featured, my wife thought it was kind of musty and uninviting. The flavor has less differences but there was some, they were just more difficult to identify. Most people who drank them blind found the chilled version to be more "crisp" with a much smoother finish. All in all the one that everyone said they would prefer to have a second pint of ended up being the chilled version. That is not to say the unchilled version was not good, everyone said the differences were very small and that they likely wouldn't have been able to tell had they not been side by side.

6. Environmental Impact - I think this has a lot more to do with where you live than anything. I live in Northern Indiana and if you drill 30ft anywhere you hit water, I'm not concerned with drying up my well and the water is cold enough that my wort gets chilled very quickly. If you live somewhere with water restrains it might make more sense for you to apply this method. You can use less hops to achieve the same level of bitterness, so there is less ingredients involved. If you are doing a pale style this may require a longer boil, which uses more fuel and puts off more carbon. In my case the extra propane is way more expensive than the water needed to chill. On the other hand you don't need to buy a chiller...so on and so forth. People could go back and forth with these all day and I think they kind of balance each other out. Brewing isn't a very green hobby to begin with so I think it's good for everyone to take their individual situations into consideration and make the most responsible choice they can.

I had thought about entering these into a contest to see which scored higher, but at different contests there would be different panels which would sort of defeat the purpose. None of the comps I have on my schedule to compete in allow two entries in the same category, so I think I will just stick with a blind triangle test between myself and the other 4 BJCP judges in my local club.

My personal conclusion is that this can absolutely be an effective way of making great beers. On my system it was actually more work for me to not chill that it is to chill. I have my methods down and they work for me, so I will not be switching to no chill. I really like chilling and pitching immediately, it gives me a piece of mind and I don't have to be constantly monitoring the temp of my wort to see if I can pitch yet. There is good and bad about both methods, and on a homebrew scale they can easily balance out. But don't think the pros are going to start doing this, the bigger your batch sizes get the less practical no chill would become. I would be very surprised to see anyone brewing 1bbl+ size batches using this method. All in all I think it might lend itself to some styles and brewing systems more than others, so I don't think everyone should throw out their wort chillers. However, for a lot of people, for a lot of different reasons this might be the most economical choice and I can't find any reason to tell them not to use it. If it gets more people brewing beer then we should all be happy...after all it got me to brew a bitter that have been enjoying immensely and otherwise wouldn't have gotten around to making.

If I forgot to comment on a certain area that you guys are curious about be sure to post. I still have about half a keg of each of these left so the experiments can continue!

Fantastic experiment and write up.

I'm curious, and I might have missed it in the reading, but were both of them fermented in kegs, or just the "no-chill" one? Not that it matters, I guess.

But this is a great info on an alternative brewing method that we Americans and Non-Aussies are only now getting a handle on.

:mug:

Nice write-up.

You could actually enter both beers into the same competition if you had someone else enter the other version. Just a thought. Although I'm not sure how scientific it would be. You'd sort of have to know you had the same talented master judge looking at both of the beers from your test to get any kind of consistency in the feedback.

I'm curious, and I might have missed it in the reading, but were both of them fermented in kegs, or just the "no-chill" one? Not that it matters, I guess.
Sorry I was kinda vague on that part. They were both fermented in identical 6.5 gallon glass carboys. I put the wort in a keg only to chill it, then pushed it into a carboy where it was fermeneted.

You could actually enter both beers into the same competition if you had someone else enter the other version. Just a thought. Although I'm not sure how scientific it would be. You'd sort of have to know you had the same talented master judge looking at both of the beers from your test to get any kind of consistency in the feedback.
Good point, I'll consider this.

Thread PROST'd. Nice work!

One thing to note is that in a commercial brewery, the chiller water is typically pumped into an extra fermenter and then pumped to the kettle and mash tun to clean them. Since the kettle and mash tun need water to be cleaned anyway this doesn't waste any water. In a homebrew setup where you are running water through the chiller it is wasted unless you needed to water your grass or you collect the hot water to clean your equipment (I have started doing the latter, and then switching to recirculating ice water through the IC after my mash tun and pots are full of hot water).

One thing to note is that in a commercial brewery, the chiller water is typically pumped into an extra fermenter and then pumped to the kettle and mash tun to clean them. Since the kettle and mash tun need water to be cleaned anyway this doesn't waste any water. In a homebrew setup where you are running water through the chiller it is wasted unless you needed to water your grass or you collect the hot water to clean your equipment (I have started doing the latter, and then switching to recirculating ice water through the IC after my mash tun and pots are full of hot water).
True, I just meant it wouldn't be practical for a commercial operation to try to cool down that much wort by just letting it sit. Plus they are on production schedules, something a homebrewer typically isn't concerned with. When I was at Bell's the brewer told me that they actually use the water coming from the chiller as the strike water on their next batch so they have very little heating to do on that water.

True, I just meant it wouldn't be practical for a commercial operation to try to cool down that much wort by just letting it sit.

I dunno about that, I think that that was the way commercial breweries did it, at least in the old days.

I have a pic of the cooling pan in my Pioneer brewery thread. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/labatt-pioneer-brewery-128740/#post1441525

And wasn't that also how it was done in the making of the original california common or steam beer. They had (open) cooling racks on top of the brewery or something?

Yeah but those "cool ships" take up a ton of space and unless they are in a sanitary room (like at Anchor) they could cause contamination problem. What I meant was that quantity of wort would take a long time to cool and commercial breweries have deadlines to make and need to keep beer moving through the brewhouse. The price of a wort chiller is negligible compared to the amount of money they would lose by leaving wort sitting around for days waiting for it to cool.

Commercial breweries 'in the old days' used the coolship to cool the wort down to pitching temperatures; these vessels are large and shallow to maximize surface area for relatively rapid cooling.

Commercial breweries 'in the old days' used the coolship to cool the wort down to pitching temperatures; these vessels are large and shallow to maximize surface area for relatively rapid cooling.
Yup, and these are a form of wort chiller. Just a much bigger far more expensive wort chiller.

Yup, and these are a form of wort chiller. Just a much bigger far more expensive wort chiller.

Quite right - I was responding to Revvy's post but you beat me to it. Although I dispute the fact that they would necessarily cause sanitation issues. ;)

I've visited a number of English breweries where the grist was milled less than 20 feet from open vat fermentation vessels - and there was little concern with wayward infection due to the incredibly robust yeast strain they were using.

I've visited a number of English breweries where the grist was milled less than 20 feet from open vat fermentation vessels - and there was little concern with wayward infection due to the incredibly robust yeast strain they were using.
That's actually pretty awesome :cool:

Like the one from my thread? Labatt had his directly above the fermenter (which you can see below).

DSCN3207.JPG
:D

Nice write-up; thanks.

I am pretty sure The Pol will check in here at some point.. but as it concerns your "5. Flavor/Aroma" .. us No Chill people adjust their hop schedules. I note this was not done here in the experiment because of your set up.

If the hop schedule was adjusted (moving your 10 minute addition to FWH), it may rectify the issues you wrote the testers found: "The aroma in the unchilled beer was somewhat muddled and it was very difficult to pick up any hops or to distinguish what sort of malt was being featured, my wife thought it was kind of musty and uninviting."

my two cents. I have only done a few NC batches and am not an expert.

I am pretty sure The Pol will check in here at some point.. but as it concerns your "5. Flavor/Aroma" .. us No Chill people adjust their hop schedules. I note this was not done here in the experiment because of your set up.

If the hop schedule was adjusted (moving your 10 minute addition to FWH), it may rectify the issues you wrote the testers found: "The aroma in the unchilled beer was somewhat muddled and it was very difficult to pick up any hops or to distinguish what sort of malt was being featured, my wife thought it was kind of musty and uninviting."
It absolutely could. When I was prepping to do this it was something that I knew we may have to just take into account because I cannot figure a good way to do a side by side otherwise. I suppose you could do separate boils but that would also bring in other variables. It also wouldn't be directly side by side if I did a separate boil with different hop additions, that would be a totally different experiment. It would be cool to see if you could use the same wort with different hopping schedules/chilling methods and see if you could come up with the same end product. This is one of many different experiments you could do using no chill, but I figured a direct side by side would be a good launching point.

It absolutely could. When I was prepping to do this it was something that I knew we may have to just take into account because I cannot figure a good way to do a side by side otherwise. ...

cool. I was just not sure if you had contemplated it (it wasn't a criticism per se). thanks again for doing the work!
-wendy

It absolutely could. When I was prepping to do this it was something that I knew we may have to just take into account because I cannot figure a good way to do a side by side otherwise. I suppose you could do separate boils but that would also bring in other variables. It also wouldn't be directly side by side if I did a separate boil with different hop additions, that would be a totally different experiment. It would be cool to see if you could use the same wort with different hopping schedules/chilling methods and see if you could come up with the same end product. This is one of many different experiments you could do using no chill, but I figured a direct side by side would be a good launching point.

That is what I did here - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/no-chill-experiment-123371/

The end result for me was that I couldn't tell the difference between the beers. Neither could SWMBO, my beer drinking friends, or my coworkers.

I'd planned on doing the same test with a Munich Helles, but I've been so happy with the 25+ 5g no-chills I've done, I haven't bothered.

Cheers on your experiment :mug:
I think your comment about choosing the right method for your own setup is dead on.

Very neat. I was sort of curious about the differences. I have always chilled because I was told to, and never really thought about it. But its nice to see a direct comparison.

Thanks.

That is what I did here - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/no-chill-experiment-123371/

The end result for me was that I couldn't tell the difference between the beers. Neither could SWMBO, my beer drinking friends, or my coworkers.
That's awesome man, it's something I may consider in the future but I already have a few other experiments lined up right now so I don't think I'll get to anymore no chill brewing this year.

Back