Favorite Pumpkin Ale this year?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PassionBeer

Reaction score
I've tried quite a few so far, but I have one bottle sitting in my fridge I hear trumps all other Pumpkin Ales this year: Southern Tier Pumpking. Obviously, I won't say it's the best since I haven't had it yet, but what has been your favorite Pumpkin Ale this year?

Say what you will, but DFH Punkin is seriously outstanding this year. Kudos to whatever they've changed from last year.

I think Southern Tier does a good job a replicating a piece of pumpkin pie. But, I think it's a little over-spiced. It's got a great after taste, but the initial spice it just too much for me.

Tried about 5 so far.. Shipyard's Pumpkinhead was probably my favorite although a little heavy on the cinnamon.

DFH's is probably second favorite for me.

I've tried quite a few so far, but I have one bottle sitting in my fridge I hear trumps all other Pumpkin Ales this year: Southern Tier Pumpking. Obviously, I won't say it's the best since I haven't had it yet, but what has been your favorite Pumpkin Ale this year?

Say what you will, but DFH Punkin is seriously outstanding this year. Kudos to whatever they've changed from last year.

try a punkin mixed with a 90 min. AMAZING. bartender at a dfh alehouse put me on to it.

i like brooklyn's pumpkin beer a lot.

Tried about 5 so far.. Shipyard's Pumpkinhead was probably my favorite although a little heavy on the cinnamon.

DFH's is probably second favorite for me.

I really could not get into shipyards, i did not get pumpkin pie at all, to me it came off tasting like tooth paste, and call it a mental block if you will, i just coudnt wrap my noodle around such a light colored pumpkin beer

Southern tier was fantastic, hoping to get my hands on some DFH soon to try!

I really could not get into shipyards, i did not get pumpkin pie at all, to me it came off tasting like tooth paste, and call it a mental block if you will, i just coudnt wrap my noodle around such a light colored pumpkin beer

Southern tier was fantastic, hoping to get my hands on some DFH soon to try!
These are the only two pumpkin beers I've ever had and I had both on tap within the last week. I didn't get the toothpaste flavor and was OK with the color but my overall impression is similar to yours.

I loved the ST Pumpking and didn't care for Shipyards Smashed Pumpkin Ale.

I just realized Shipyard has two seasonal pumpkin ales, Pumpkinhead (low grav, golden color) and Smashed Pumpkin Ale (high grav, coppery-orange) so maybe we're talking about two different Shipyard offerings.

What was the ratio of 90 minute to Punkin?

Also, my favorite this year was the Thunderstruck I brewed up! As far as commercial, I don't think I drank any other than Pumpking.

I really like O'Fallon Pumpkin.

+1 to O'Fallons

Although I do love the Pumking, the O'Fallon's is a nice brew you can drink a 6'er of sitting out enjoying a bonfire with friends without being totally f'd up. I love the grahm crackery type taste. I've tried to clone it for the past two years and keep getting closer however, I think I need to find the right yeast yet.

Ah, I just forgot the one that might have taken the cake for me this year (even above Pumking) was Heavy Seas Greater Pumpkin - the barrel aged one. I didn't care for their standard pumpkin last year (too spicy) however the barrel aged one this year was FANTASTIC. :mug:

Back