Jalapeño wine??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErinRae

Reaction score
Im harvesting jalapeños from the garden right now and thinking they might be good for wine. Maybe mixed w another fruit....and just a bit of heat. Anyone tried making a recipe with them before??

E

Never tried making wine from jalapeños but I love an energy drink that is capsaicin & strawberry flavored. So some
Strawberries may go well with tour jalapeños.

I have a thread somewhere where I made a jalapeno and sweet onion wine for cooking. About 2 months after pitching when bottling I sampled it. The heat was too much up front and I didn't even care for a sip of it. It's been bottled for a month or so, but I'm not planning on opening it anytime soon.

I used 10 jalapeno's de-seeded and chopped in primary, nothing in secondary/clearing. For reference of the heat, I love franks red hot on most everything.

I made 3 gallons and used roughly 24 deseeded jalapenos, 3 kgs of sugar, 1.5lbs of raisins and some acid blend. Followed the Jack keller recipe pretty close. Gonna pitch the yeast tonight and follow a staggered yeast nutrient outline. It smells pretty hot in the bucket right now. I figured I'd keep the fruit out and then later add some to fruit wines I already have made. I've tryed a few different cocktails that have a jalapeno aftertaste and they're great! Think this wine will be for cooking and small additions to other drinks:)

I made Jack Kellers almost a year ago
It's too hot for me to drink
Good to add to meat manate
1gal batch, with 8 peppers
Bottled in flip top beer bottles
Everyone I gave one too has goodthings to say

Do people use staggered yeast nutrients in wine or only for mead??

Jalapeño wine has been fermenting for 7 days and still going strong. The SG is sitting around 1.05 and I tasted it today out of curiosity. The heat is the perfect heat right now for possibly adding to a sweet drink or a caeser. I'm wondering...should I pull the bag of peppers out to try and maintain the heat level? Will it get hotter if I leave them in? And if I pull them out will the heat decrease??

Thanks
E

I made some a while ago using Jack Keller's recipe. Left seeds in from half the peppers. It's aged about 5 months now, haven't tried it since I bottled it.

So I transferred the wine off the peppers and into a Carboy. Tastes good but there's still a lot of sugar in it to ferment...so I'm guessing that's why. The one major con to making this wine is all my equipment reeks of jalapeños now. I've bleached my bucket twice and I can still smell peppers...same with my siphon tube. Anyone have any tricks to share!?

Oh, yeah forgot about that.. I had to throw my primary and secondary away. Washed and sanitized the secondary many many times and even after i thought the smell was gone, my next wine (peach) picked up the jalapeno scent. Now I have a jalapeno peach wine.

Peach jalapeno does sound good, same with apple jalapeno, pineapple jalapeno and strawberry jalapeno. A shame to throw it away though. Lesson learned I guess

I've had Jalapeno wine before. Someone else made it, and it was way too sweet for my taste. I could handle the hot part, but paired with the sweet it was too much. I couldn't even take a second sip.

Might have just been that batch, I don't know. But I doubt I'd want to try it again after my first experience.

by all means dont throw your fermenter out on my account. just warning ya.

i left my wine completely dry, no sweet taste at all. i'm saving it for the upcoming winter/fall months so i can sip it by the fire. Also considering using it in a spaghetti sauce

I was actually just thinking that I might stop mine and sorbate it or something so there was a touch of sweetness. But I think the better plan is to let it dry completely and then if need be sweeten it a bit. Id rather taste it sweet and dry to decide. I was planning for spahgetti type dishes as well!

I did read a comment yesterday about letting brews (I say brew cause I read it in the cider section) go as dry as possible...that when you let a brew go as dry as possible you lose some of the flavor then if you would of stopped it before say 1.000. My conclusion was instead of backsweetening it...stop if first. This is my first homemade fruit wine soo I'm not sure how I like my wine yet...jalapeno wine is prob not the best place to start:)

Yes, I'm a fan of sweet wines (usually backsweeten to 1.050-1.100 depending on the wine) but i feel like this jalapeno is better off dry.

Back