Visiting San Francisco - To do list?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I'm going to be staying at Fisherman's Warf on business next week. I literally have one full day to myself (Tuesday) and I'm looking for a short list of things you would absolutely do. Keep in mind, I've been there a few times before and have done the Alcatraz tour, Muir Woods and Vinyard tour. I will NOT have a car this time so public transportation is a necessary evil. Ideas?

I know Anchor Steam is an option. Tour any good?

Are all homebrewers homophobrewers? I've been there like 9 times now and haven't even noticed an overtly gay population. I think people are more out and flambouyant in Manhattan.

Bobby_M said:
Are all homebrewers homophobrewers? I've been there like 9 times now and haven't even noticed an overtly gay population. I think people are more out and flambouyant in Manhattan.

More weirdos than anything, unless you head to the Castro district. :D

There's a great German restaurant in the Tenderloin district called [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The German Cook ([/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]612 O'Farrell Street) [/FONT]and they serve some super food and German beers. They are only open for dinner.

Bobby_M said:

Yeah, apparently. I lived in SF for 8 years its the bomb. I even lived in the castro for a few years and that is ground zero for gays, but that **** doesnt bother me. But hey, if youre scared youre scared I guess.

If you only have 1 day i would spend it in the Toronado on lower haight street. Just take the fillmore bus to haight street and get off, cross the street and make a right you cant miss it. They have good selection of micros and the owner is all about Belgian beers.

Bobby_M said:

Thats cause their in disguise.:p

Originally quoted by Ivan Lendl
If you only have 1 day i would spend it in the Toronado on lower haight street. Just take the fillmore bus to haight street and get off, cross the street and make a right you cant miss it. They have good selection of micros and the owner is all about Belgian beers.

Toronado is an absolute must on the list of any real beer aficionado visiting San Francisco! Great beer selection. Be warned though, once you arrive it's awfully hard to leave. I stopped in one night around 6:00PM for ONE beer. I ended up closing the place down and got back to my hotel around 3:00AM :drunk:

I also like the Magnolia Brewpub in upper Haight in the Haight/Ashbury neighborhood (especially their Proving Ground IPA) Go there first... see above :D

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Anchor Steam brewing, an AWESOME TOUR! Make sure to check out transformers on IMAX also. Should be awesome.

Bobby,

I totally agree with Toronado. I went on a brewpub tour of San Fran back in 98. I inadvertently stumbled into this bar. It had taps like you wouldn't believe. They were even selling mead out of a crock pot. Great place! It's quite small and was crowded from what a remember, but the beer selection was top notch.

I also went to Magnolia. Great food, very 'earthy' and the beer was excellent!

Enjoy, it's a great city!:mug:

I actually honeymooned in SF 4 years ago and the wife and I both agreed that if we ever leave NJ, we'll probably move there. Thanks for all the suggestions, it should be awesome.

The wife and I honeymooned there as well, stayed in Little Tokyo. I recommend taking a trip there, the stores alone were fun. Out of 7 Korean/Japanese restaurants, we only had one bad experience.

If you're a music lover, definitely go and see a show at The Fillmore if you get a chance. It is by far the coolest venue I have ever been in.

lol, last time i went to the fillmore i saw the dark star orchestra (a grateful dead cover band) play. the place was thick with marijuana. they searched your pockets for knives when you came in, but let people keep their pipes. hilarious.

Vermicous said:
The wife and I honeymooned there as well, stayed in Little Tokyo. I recommend taking a trip there, the stores alone were fun. Out of 7 Korean/Japanese restaurants, we only had one bad experience.

You mean Japan town?

Last time I was at the Fillmore I saw Motorhead.:rockin:

Bobby_M said:
I actually honeymooned in SF 4 years ago and the wife and I both agreed that if we ever leave NJ, we'll probably move there. Thanks for all the suggestions, it should be awesome.

I can't believe anyone would ever want to leave beautiful Piscataway, NJ! :)

DeathBrewer said:
lol, last time i went to the fillmore i saw the dark star orchestra (a grateful dead cover band) play. the place was thick with marijuana. they searched your pockets for knives when you came in, but let people keep their pipes. hilarious.

Aren't those guys awesome? I've seem them quite a few times and they really pull it off well. Not too mention that one dude looks JUST LIKE ol' Bobby Weir. I love how they play an actual show of the dead's and not just their songs.

Definitely check out The Thirsty Bear. The beers are pretty good and the food too. Might be a bit pricier than normal but hey, you're in SF, what do you expect?... The food is a Cali take on Spanish Tapas. Last time I was there I bumped into Shirley from Good Eats (food scientist of some sort?) so that was kinda interesting. Try the brown bear ale, pretty good....

Back