Speed Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martymoat

Reaction score
I am gambling with time here. Last minute party coming up And im hoping to have my lager out to drink. looking for some input or feedback.

11/28: BREWED, it was a 10 Gallon batch OG was 1.063, Pitched 34/70 dry yeast lots of it!

12/10: each keg was at 1.008-1.010

12/10-12/11: D-Rest then racked

12/11: In fridge @ 32

12/21-23- force carbing and hoping to be drinking

worst case scenario its not ready and i just take it off the gas and let it sit.

anyone else crank out a lager is these time frames and have it drinkable.

I've done several lagers in a time frame similar to what you're planning. They have all worked out except for one that developed a bit of DMS. It eventually subsided but not within that time frame. Good luck!

yeah i have an oktoberfest that I pushed into the kegerator to make room in my lagering fridge that is currently 41 days old. It's drinkable, even pretty good... but it has a bit of a dullness to it that I'm sure would benefit from proper lagering.

It'll be fine in that timeframe. It won't be as good as it could be with longer lagering (especially because this is pushing bock gravity where extended lagering would be good). But it will still be beer. If you really must, why not carb up one corney while letting the other lager for a couple months?

I am gambling with time here. Last minute party coming up And im hoping to have my lager out to drink. looking for some input or feedback.

11/28: BREWED, it was a 10 Gallon batch OG was 1.063, Pitched 34/70 dry yeast lots of it!

12/10: each keg was at 1.008-1.010

12/10-12/11: D-Rest then racked

12/11: In fridge @ 32

12/21-23- force carbing and hoping to be drinking

worst case scenario its not ready and i just take it off the gas and let it sit.

anyone else crank out a lager is these time frames and have it drinkable.

Well, Dude, you are hoping to make a lager in 4 weeks by HB methods. Good Luck! You need help form BMC, not traditianal lager brewers. Eight weeks, fair. Twelve weeks, good. Four months. excellent..........

I am certainly no expert, but I have to think that production breweries, including craft breweries, are producing lagers from brew day to packaging in less than a month. This may not be the best practice, but commercial brewers have to turn over fermentation tanks to keep up with production. It is definitely feasible. I agree that a gravity over 1.060 makes this a little more difficult, though.

I ramp the temperature up once the krausen starts to fall (start pretty cold though) and I can win medals with 4 week old standard strength lagers that have had maybe 10 days cold. If your cold conditioning time is shortened, get it as cold as possible. In terms of precipitation, 10 days at 30 F is better than 6 weeks at 40F. If you have something stronger or maybe darker like bock or dunkel that needs some maturation it will be harder to turn around fast.

Back