Thoughts about a first lager. Pilz 1.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beefeater

Reaction score
Hello all!

In another tread I was concerned that my basement was too cold to ferment an ale (14C/57F), but after letting the fermentation start and get going at a higher temp and then moving it down there it worked perfectly!

Now I'm concerned about this temperature again, this time that it's too high to attempt a lager.

I have a packet of Safale S-23 that I want to try, but there's no way to get the temperature lower than 57F for the moment. I can wait until winter, but.. I'm not very patient.. For example the only way I can let beer age properly is have to keep brewing at a much higher rate than I'm consuming.

To the point: Is it adviseable to attempt a lager with S-23 at 57F?

If yes, what do you think of this recipe?

For 21 liters (5.5 gallons)
OG 1.059 if 80% eff.

4 kg Pils Malt (8.8lb)
1 kg Münchener Malt (2.2lb)
0.1 kg CaraMünchener (3.5oz)

Mash low and long. 90min@146.

Not sure about the hop additions but I have Tettenanger and Hellertau Perle that I want to use in this. 35-40 IBU's

:mug:
beefeater

I wouldn't do it at 57, I'd wait. You'll probably have to do a diacetyl rest, which I prefer to avoid by both using a strain that is known for not producing it in the first place (W-34/70 for a dry type) and to pitch at ferment temp with about double your normal yeast. You can do it probably, I haven't though...I just wait until my basement is 50 :D.

Back