Common Gotcha's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0verdrive

Reaction score
I recently finished a room that's (mostly) dedicated to brewing, and I thought I'd spruce it up with some quick-reference posters. One thing I thought would be handy/fun would be a list of gotcha's that can be relatively easily avoided if you practice good brewing techniques.

There have been numerous posts suggesting how to avoid problem X with resolution Y. But they're spread all over the place, and the resolutions are generally pretty drawn out. It would be handy to have a thread that's dedicated to a quick-list of common problems and how to avoid them. If further explanation is necessary, we can provide links to the original discussion.

So what are common gotcha's that you try to avoid? I'm looking for anything, from "Remember to take the lid off your BK once it starts boiling" to "Avoid hot-side aeration" etc.

(As a side-note: let's try to limit debates over whether a particular "gotcha" is worth worrying about. Ideally, I'd like to adhere to good brewing techniques that will avoid most of the pit-falls regardless of whether they're truly necessary or have been blown out of proportion. If it's relatively easy to follow and could avoid a head-ache, it's worth following. And if it's worth following, it's worth putting on a poster. HSA, for example: perhaps it's blown out of proportion. But it's relatively easy to avoid splashing hot wort, so it's probably worth making part of your brewing technique.)

As this will go on a poster, I'd prefer the gotcha be relatively brief. I'll start:

Take the BK lid off!
Once the BK comes to a boil, take the lid off to ensure that sulfure compounds (DMS) are boiled off

Avoid Hot-Side Aeration!
HSA can lead to beer going stale. It occurs when hot wort (above 86*) is exposed to oxygen, typically as a result of splashing.

Fire away!

Your IC is hot!
Don't forget if you use your IC to stir the wort during initial chilling don't forget that Copper is super hot, use a glove!

You're a more pragmatic man than I. I would have jut out a buncha big-chested braufraus in lederhosen.

Add sugar to the bottling bucket. I have almost forgotten this way too many times. A good brewing assistant helps avoid gotchas.

Don't forget mineral or acid additions to the liquor. I'm very guilty of that, especially the acid part.

Temperature control. If you want a good final product make sure you are treating a Lager like a Lager, a Ale like an Ale.

Don't drink too much before the boil, its hard to remember things when you are already 2 sheets to the wind.

Last but not least - RDWHAHB

2 Hands when carrying a full fermenter.

Whether it's a plastic pail, better bottle, or glass carboy, I've always got 2 arms around it. I don't trust a glorified clothes hanger for a handle to not break from the side of the bucket and pour my delicious beer on the ground.

Don't forget to make sure your faucet or picnic tap is closed before connecting to your keg

Invest in a spare propane tank. Nothing like running out of gas 30 minutes into a boil.

Use sandwich bags for hop additions. Label each with the minute it goes in. They will last a very long time. I use them for whirlfloc and yeast nutrient additions as well.

Avoid Hot-Side Aeration!
HSA can lead to beer going stale. It occurs when hot wort (above 86*) is exposed to oxygen, typically as a result of splashing.

Fire away!

You should probably revise this as:

Hot Side Aeration!!!!! Dun dun dun!!!
HSA is the last thing a brewer should worry about. Thank you,Charlie for instilling the fear of an almost mythical phenomena into new brewers while conversely not instilling them with the proper respect towards fermentation temps and starters for liquid Yeast.

You should probably revise this as:

Hot Side Aeration!!!!! Dun dun dun!!!
HSA is the last thing a brewer should worry about. Thank you,Charlie for instilling the fear of an almost mythical phenomena into new brewers while conversely not instilling them with the proper respect towards fermentation temps and starters for liquid Yeast.

Well said. I don't believe in HSA, at least pre-boil. I've never had occasion to worry about it post boil as there's no splashing of my wort while it's chilling. And even if it is a real thing, I thought the temp of concern was 140 F, not 86 F. If it was 86 F I think it would be more common since many of the retail thermometers, especially the digital ones, can be quite inaccurate, at least IME.

Also, to make sure I stay on topic:

Clean pre-boil, sanitize post boil.

I understand the concern. From day one brewer's are ingrained with impeccable sanitation habits, but there's simply no reason for it pre-boil since the wort and brew kettle will be sanitized during the boil.

Always add at least an extra gallon of water to your mash and and sparge volumes.

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

These are fantastic, guys! I got a bad case of food poisoning, and haven't been able to follow up with individual comments yet, but there have been quite a few that either made me laugh or groan (depending on whether I've fallen into that particular trap!)

It's going to be quite a poster - keep 'em coming!

0verdrive said:
These are fantastic, guys! I got a bad case of food poisoning, and haven't been able to follow up with individual comments yet, but there have been quite a few that either made me laugh or groan (depending on whether I've fallen into that particular trap!)

It's going to be quite a poster - keep 'em coming!

You're not from Pittsburgh by any chance, are you? I've been sick with salmonella for like a week!

Looking forward to seeing the poster!

Always double check any Ball valve to make sure closed

Clean your Siphon like it is your job in and out!

Keep extra Hose on hand (Siphon, transfer, what ever size you have, have extra)

Always Check Fermentation space before brewing (almost did had strike water ready)

Make sure you Have enough and locate Air Locks (or that extra Hose makes great Blow off tubes :D )

Turn old Fermenters into Sour brewing Equipment (think of it like recycling, and that means you get to buy one to replace it, upping fermentation space for the environment)

Rehydrate your irish moss at the start of the boil. Always best to have it ready and waiting.

If using wyeast or wl, get your yeast out and up to room temp several hours before pitching.

Back