SMASH 2-row and Cascade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkapottomous

Reaction score
10 pounds of 2-row
4 oz of cascade.

Mashed in at 154~ gonne let it sit for 90.
Sparge
Boil, add 3 Oz cascade.
.5 at 45mins
.5 a flameout

we'll see how it comes out.

safale s-04.

personally I'd move some of that cascade to the end of the boil instead of 3 in at the 60 minute mark.

Maybe

1.5oz at 60 min
.5oz at 15 min
2oz at flameout

should give you a better aroma and flavor imo

Have one in primary that is similar.

4.5 lbs 2 row.
1.5 lbs 2 row toasted. 45 minutes at 275°

.25 Columbus at 60min
.25 Columbus at 10min

3 gallons.
Wyeast 1056

It was a spur of the moment change since it was raining and I didn't want to do my Red Ale recipe in the garage. Switched to BIAB in the kitchen.

Can't wait to find out how this went!
:tank:

I recently did a recipe very close to the OP,

#9 2-row
#1 c60

magnum to bitter
cascade for flavor and aroma
s-04 as well

I know mine isn't a SMaSH, but I really enjoyed it.
kegged 8 days after boil, and kicked the keg a week after that!

Very interested how yours turns out, keep it posted!

4.5 lbs 2 row.

.25 Columbus at 60min
.25 Columbus at 10min

3 gallons.
Wyeast 1056

It was a spur of the moment change since it was raining and I didn't want to do my Red Ale recipe in the garage. Switched to BIAB in the kitchen.

same here, was supposed to have a big brew day tomorrow and it's supposed to rain all day so when I get my recipe I got some extra for tonight.

think I might do like suggested and bump up the flameout. Maybe up to 1oz.

4.5 lbs 2 row.

.25 Columbus at 60min
.25 Columbus at 10min

3 gallons.
Wyeast 1056

I make a beer very similar to this with just two row, toasted tow row and Columbus. It is a house favorite. I am always surprised at how a little toasting in the oven adds a depth to the flavor that is sometimes lacking in a regukar SMaSH. That, and columbus is fantastic.

OP: Your smash recipe is pretty much what my first smash recipe was...turned out great! On second try I roasted about 2 pounds right before dough in,,,was great as well...when I read about the crazy ingredients and processes others try, often with less than stellar results, I can't help but think that new brewers should start with a basic recipe and process and build from that. Restraint is an art form in and of itself...

I would even consider .5 oz cascade dry hopped. I just did a 2 row and centennial SMASH and a 2 row and centennial, Chinook and cascade ipa. I called it a SMACCC. Single malt and 3 C's. The ipa is by far the best beer I have ever made. I really enjoyed the smash as well. Let us know how yours turns out.

4.5 lbs 2 row.

.25 Columbus at 60min
.25 Columbus at 10min

3 gallons.
Wyeast 1056

Don't mean to be an a@@hat, but how see yours to be similar to the OP's brew? They might be similar in terms of style, both might be considered American pale ales. But different hops, different IBUs, and and different yeast and home roasted malt? Different beers, totally. OP's brew with 3 oz at 60 is going to be a bitter beer. Yours, with that toasty malt, will probably be a lot more balanced. Have the OP send you a bottle and I think you'll see that these are two totally different beers.

Well once again I've had to cover my wort and let it cool while I caught some ZZZs.

Going to go eat with some friends on campus, and then transfer over to my carboy when we get back. Will take an OG just to see, I don't really have an expected FG. Anybody know how many points S-04 usually brings it down?

my porter went from 1.050 to 1.011, but I don't know how that will transpose over to this recipe.

edit:I'll shoot for about 75% attenuation, and see how that comes out.

alright, OG started off at like 1.049. Kind of odd considering my porter came out at .050, maybe my hydrometer is wonky.

did you adjust sg readings for temp?

no I didn't, actually forgot. either way it should only have been one or two points because I waited for it to cool to room temp and the hydro was calibrated at 60.

took the reading just now, calibrated for temp and it's at 1.012.

I think it's good to go.

(It's delicious by the way.)
408040_10151319930535393_602095392_23338124_1578230779_n.jpg

I did a pale and cascade:
12 lbs Weyermann pale malt
2 oz roast barley (for color. And it's not a malt.)
8 oz flaked barley for head retention
1 oz whole leaf cascade (first wort and 60 min boil)
1 oz whole leaf cascade (30 min boil)
1 oz whole leaf cascade (10 min boil)
1 oz whole leaf cascade (20 min aroma steep)
2 oz whole leaf cascade (dry hop 10 days)
Water salts to get the burton-on-trent water profile
Nottingham sprinkled in fermenter

Turned out very, very hoppy; big on flavor, but surprisingly not as bitter as expected. Delicious, though. I'm going to have to use pale more often.

Is it pale ale or just 2 row pale? My first AG brews were with weyemann pale ale and they were fantastic compared to same beer with Briess brewers malt

I realize that this is a very old thread, but I figured I'd revive it to ask a question. I want to make a Cascade Smash but don't know which malt I should use. The Weyermann mentioned above sounds good, but my HBS doesn't carry it, so does anyone have another suggestion?

If you're just gonna use all base malt and nothing else, get a more roasty version than regular two row, just check the lovibond color. Or you can always do Vienna or light Munich. Golden promise is good as well.

Thanks for the input. I've never used Golden Promise, which they do carry, so I think I'll try that.

I realize that this is a very old thread, but I figured I'd revive it to ask a question. I want to make a Cascade Smash but don't know which malt I should use. The Weyermann mentioned above sounds good, but my HBS doesn't carry it, so does anyone have another suggestion?

Try a munich smash! Munich is my absolute favourite base, it is THE best for ipa imo.

Back