sanitizing the caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
Hey guys

I was just wondering if sanitizing caps in boiling water for 5-10 minutes will make them oxidize and rust eventually? Or is it totally okay to put them in boiling water for that long?

I have read on the internet that rinsing them in vodka is also a good way to sanitize them? But I suppose I'll have to dry them well before using them.....I should let vodka drops fall into the beer, I guess.

I don't sanitize my caps...I keep them in their bag til ready to use and just cap away. Never had a problem. Some say you should never get the caps wet...defeats the seals O2 absorbing feature.

I put mine in a bowl with some of the Star San solution left from sanitizing my bottles. While the bottles are draining the caps are sanitizing. And since Star San is no-rinse, you don't have to worry about rinsing or drying the caps. Just toss 'em on and clamp.

I put mine in a bowl with some of the Star San solution left from sanitizing my bottles. While the bottles are draining the caps are sanitizing. And since Star San is no-rinse, you don't have to worry about rinsing or drying the caps. Just toss 'em on and clamp.

That is what I do.

Some plastics shrink when heated in boiling water.

I steam them for 10-15 minutes.

The only batch I've had leaking/oxidation issues with, I forgot to steam them.

But, I imagine the no-rinse sanitizer of your choice would also work well...

I put mine in a bowl full of star san when I'm bottling; never had a problem and it makes me feel better. However, I have noticed that some caps will rust which is a bunch of horse **** if you ask me. Not right away, mind you, but sometimes I don't use all the caps I have soaking and when I put them back they rust. I just had to throw out about 60 because they had rust spots on them. Other brands that I've had longer and done the same thing haven't rusted at all.

NivekD said:
I don't sanitize my caps...I keep them in their bag til ready to use and just cap away. Never had a problem. Some say you should never get the caps wet...defeats the seals O2 absorbing feature.

The oxygen absorbing activates when wet so dipping in Starsan or iodophor at bottling is fine. You just don't want to get them wet until you're ready to use.

HomebrewMTB said:
The oxygen absorbing activates when wet so dipping in Starsan or iodophor at bottling is fine. You just don't want to get them wet until you're ready to use.

A stars an or iodophor rinse is supposed to be fine but don't dip them in one-step or clean with oxyclean...

This is what I do.

Another +1 for having them sit in StarSan while I am filling bottles. I have yet to have any problems or rust.

Back