Keggle/SS false bottom issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouBrew2

Reaction score
I cut my 7/8" hole a bit too high (maybe 1cm too high) so that the dip tube did not sit under the false bottom. I bent the edges of the SS mesh with a wrench (so that the middle is high enough for the dip tube to sit under the mesh) and now its not sitting perfectly against the bottom of the keg. Although the mesh isn't flush in some areas, I tweaked it the best that I could. I'll be cooking the mash in my keggle for now so the weight of the grain will push it down even further to help even these spaces. Will this be a huge problem? Is it bad for some of the grain to be in my wort if I am doing a primary and secondary fermentation?
Thanks for the help in advance!
Here is the picture:
http://img225.imageshack.us/i/img00258201101261448.jpg/

I probably should have but didn't have a vice on hand. I frantically tried to fix the problem. Will bits of grain in my wort ruin it or cause any unwanted properties? Sorry if this has been explained somewhere else. I couldn't find any other familiar problems like this.

As long as you vorlauf properly you should be fine. You only have half the alrea on the screen as a proper false bottom. Therefore, you _may_ experience stuck sparges when mashing with wheat, oats, etc...

Yeah, I would have simply made my dip tube longer some how. Sure looks like you did it the hard way to me. At least you didn't try to bang the bottom of you keggle up. I guess that would have been worse.

Latest posts

Back