mead newbie queries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leoglenwood

Reaction score
when aging mead, how long should I leave it in the fermenter before aging it in the bottle?

and (not to hijack the thread) how much corn sugar at bottling? 3/4 cup or more, like for a tripel?

thanks!

thanks in advance!

I made my first mead June 1st and FG was achieved three months ago; it's fairly clear... it was supposed to be a sweet mead - I made a Curt Stock recipe from Northern Brewer - 15 lbs of basswood honey for a 5 gal batch - FG was 1.002 (which made me think it over-fermented)

anyway, I was going to made it sparkling so do I add 3/4 cup corn sugar like for beer, or more, like I would for a tripel

and how long in the bottle?

or should I just leave it in the fermenter forever (6-12 months and then bottle?

thanks!

What was the OG and the type of yeast you used? I'm thinking that maybe your yeast is pooped out and may not carbonate.

I would definitely leave it longer in secondary, racking every so often when you have lees. What do the instructions say? I'm not familiar with that kit.

Mead is a test of patience. You can "Bulk Age" as long as you'd like. The longer the better for the most part...But Like Yooper says...Rack every time you have a lot of lees on the bottom.

I've yet to have a really good sparkling mead, but I know they are out there. But I'd leave it still, especially since you are at 1.002,Which leads me to think that you have just exceeded your tolerance of the yeast.

I've yet to have a really good sparkling mead, but I know they are out there.

Best one I ever had was by accident. I think Aegir smiled upon me and granted me the wisdom of the bees with that batch.

Kegged sparkling meads are easy. Bottled, well.. that is the challenge.
If I can figure out the secret, I will share.

Back