Accidently spilled some vodka in my fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMMIPA

Reaction score
I used chocolate vodka for my airpiece( i forget the name of it) and it was attached to the bucket and i thought there was too much vodka in there so I opened up the cap and some of the vodka got into the fermenter.Now this is a Oatmeal stout that im brewing so that wont matter that much on the chocolate but how about the vodka? will it kill my yeast.It was like less then half a shots worth.

Please help
Sean

This should not be a problem. You have a huge dilution ratio, the effect won't be noticeable. Your yeast will be fine.

Think about the math on this one for a second. Vodka is about 40% alcohol. Lets say you had a major spill and spilled 2oz in your 5gal beer. That is 2*0.4=0.8 oz of alcohol in 128*5=640oz of beer. Or an increase of 0.8/640*100=0.125% ABV. Do you think you or your yeast are going to notice an increase of 1/8% alcohol? Even a whole bottle only an increase of 1.625% ABV. Hardly noticeable.

No fears.:)

Craig

This begs the question... has anyone ever "fortified" their beer intentionally?

Nate said:
I've seen several recipes for bourbon fortified beer. Try doing a search.
Craig

Nate said:

ME!!! I made a winter ale last year where I soaked some oak cubes and a vanilla bean in 2 cups of bourbon during primary fermentation, then tossed the whole thing into secondary with the beer. It's deeeelicious.

Evan! said:
ME!!! I made a winter ale last year where I soaked some oak cubes and a vanilla bean in 2 cups of bourbon during primary fermentation, then tossed the whole thing into secondary with the beer. It's deeeelicious.

Very cool. Did you use enough to affect the alcohol content or was it done mainly for flavor?

Nate said:

I soaked coffee grounds in vodka so that it could extract the flavor and then dumped the vodka in the secondary, it added a nice hint of coffee flavor and an extra point of abv.

Evan! said:

how much oak cubes? and was this a 5 gal batch?

Nate said:
I'm hoping this was genuinely intended to be helpful...
Yes, I was trying to be helpful by suggesting you search for bourbon if that sounds interesting to you. There have been a number of recipes I have seen that used bourbon or bourbon soaked oak cubes. I haven't tried any myself so I can't comment on how it works but it does sound good. :mug:
Sorry I was too lazy to do the search myself.
Craig

CBBaron said:
Yes, I was trying to be helpful by suggesting you search for bourbon if that sounds interesting to you. There have been a number of recipes I have seen that used bourbon or bourbon soaked oak cubes. I haven't tried any myself so I can't comment on how it works but it does sound good. :mug:
Sorry I was too lazy to do the search myself.
Craig

No problem and appreciate the info. It was really just more of a casual question to begin with. You see fortified wines... I've just never seen a fortified beer and figured someone was probably doing it.

Back