Pittsburgh/Western PA Group Buy - Round 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dand9066

Reaction score
Pittsburgh and surrounding areas, THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE.

CLOSED
IMPORTANT: PLEASE SEND ME AN EMAIL WITH YOUR PAYPAL EMAIL ADDRESS. MAKE THE SUBJECT PAYPAL. I KNOW A COUPLE OF YOU SENT ME PAYPAL INFO BUT PLEASE SEND AGAIN. MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO TYPO'S AS IT WILL ONLY DELAY THE PROCESS. IF YOU WANT TO SEND MONEY THROUGH BANK OF AMERICA STILL SEND ME PAYPAL INFO SO I CAN INVOICE YOU. IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS LET ME KNOW.

A personal thanks to Sleepy whom got me in contact with Bugman.
And thanks to Bugman for letting us use his account.

Here is the deal:

1. We need to fill at least one pallet which is about 42 sacks. If we go over we need to get as close to 84 sacks to make the shipping reasonable throughout the second pallet.
2. Buyers will have to come pick up their bags at the drop off location (Monroeville, PA). I will include the exact address when I send invoices
3. Payments will be accepted through PayPal or Bank of America Bill Pay. Payments will be required up front once the order is secured. Send money as a personal payment to avoid fees. If using a credit card and not direct from your checking you must pay the fee's.
4. USERS MUST EMAIL ME WITH THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION TO GAIN ACCESS TO THE ORDER SHEET:HBT username, Name, Phone, Address. Simply requesting access from the link will not let you send me this information. Please email first ---> [email protected]

To see the catalog CLICK HERE
Use the 2000#-4000#pricing

If there is anything in the catalog that is not in the full bag or split bag that you would like please add it in the column on the first sheet using ID number and Malt Name. Please keep it uniform. I will go back in and add the estimated pricing on a daily basis. Plan on $4-6 per sack shipping cost. This is already estimated into your total on the spreadsheet.

ORDER ENTRY
Quick link to ORDER SHEET
We are trying an order entry sheet this time. Please use the link above after you have emailed me for access. I will be checkin my email multiple times daily. Please do not PM me as I have limited space for PM's.

After you have added your items post it to the thread to help stimulate the buy

PAYMENT OPTIONS:

As stated above we will be using PayPal or Bank of America Bill Pay/Transfers

Payment option 1:
PayPal (PREFERRED)

1. Set up or use your existing PayPal Account
2. Provide me with your PayPal Email
3. I will send a finalized invoice (You send money a personal payment or gift to eliminate fees or pay the fee.)
4. Once you send payment EMAIL ME or post to the forum to let me know you paid.

Payment option 2:
Bank of America

1. Use your existing account to Transfer money to my account. If you use Bill pay it should eliminate any fees. *I will need to send you my name address and phone for you to do so.
2. I will send finalized invoice with information for payment to my account
3. Once you send payment EMAIL ME or post to the forum to let me know you paid.

Payments will be collected once we have secured 42 or 84 sacks (1 or 2 pallets) dependent on interest. If you have any issues with the payment methods please EMAIL ME. If you do not make payment within 1 week from the time actual pricing is provided you risk forfeiting your right to buy your grain on this buy. If you can’t make your payment within 1 week, please contact me directly. Do this out of courtesy for the group.

After all payments are received I will submit the order and get back to everyone with an estimated delivery date.

After that DMase takes over an handles the delivery end of things, which will be at his place of business in Monroeville, PA. Exact address will be provided after buy is secure. DMase or myself will keep everyone updated on the arrival, when you should show up to get it. You, as the buyer, are responsible for picking up your grain or for making arrangements for someone else to pick it up for you. Bring your invoice to the pick up location to help ease the process.

FOR SPLIT SACKS:
Work out the details with your partners. Bring something to put your share in, weigh it out on site, and take your portion. Or, one of you picks up the whole sack and deal with the splitting on your own time. That’s your decision to make with you splitting partners.

~For reference a 5 gallon bucket, depending on the type of grain should hold about a half a sack of grain.

DONATIONS: The people who work these grain buys do a lot of back end work to make these buys go as smoothly as possible. If you would like to show your appreciation please feel free to leave a donation for them. The amount you donate will apply towards that persons grain tab.

My hopes are that with the interest I have seen on the old thread is that we can get this buy ready to finalize by Friday March 16th.
After the buy is closed I will request a quote from Country Malt. Country Malt the sends me finalized pricing w/ shipping costs. After I receive that I would send invoices to everyone w/ actual cost. Hopefully this process will be done by Wed March 21st
Everybody pays by the following Wednesday Wed March 28th
Order then placed and received around the first week of April!

Keep in mind these dates are what I'm shooting for but will most likely vary.

:mug:

Pitt #2 Buyers & City:
Use this info to possibly carpool or pick up grains for each other

dand9066 - Indiana, PA
Dmase - Monroeville, PA (Pick up location)
adamreef - Cranberry Township, PA
Paymygasbill77 - Finleyville, PA
bmickey - Salem, OH
ButcherBoy - Lower Burrell, PA
Mcgeebc - Cleveland area, OH
Beezer94 - Harmony, PA
faithinchaosx - Pittsburgh, PA
hio3791 - Venetia, PA
coyote68 - Indiana, PA
hop_head76 - Imperial, PA
Forddog - unknown
kpr121 - unknown
shuggy - Butler, PA
Bruwsomtin - Shippenville, PA
fredtheseal - Monroeville, PA
PJM - Wheeling, WV
bja - Butler, PA
Rloc - Pittsburgh, PA
neutrinodust - Butler, PA
wyoohio - Wadsworth, OH
Trent_77590 - Uniontown, PA
doubl3h3lix - Wadsworth, OH
sinisterkid - Steubenville, OH
simonh - Pittsburgh, PA
zcrxt - New Castle, PA
jags0401 - New Kensington, PA
Mbell - Verona, PA

Copyright1997 - NY

I'll start with a bag of 2-row. Will split a half sack of MO and Vienna if anyone is interested

Dand I am on my phone so I cannot get to the order form but I am going to be in on at least two sacks of 2 row, and would be willing to split the Vienna with you. Maybe some other miscellaneous items (I seem to remember people trying to get together on starsan or PBW before).

As I said in the other thread I am willing to help with unloading sorting splitting at the monroeville drop location. We can figure out these details later.

Thanks for taking this initiative. It feels like there is going to be a lot of interest as this has been a long time coming.

kpr121 said:
Dand I am on my phone so I cannot get to the order form but I am going to be in on at least two sacks of 2 row, and would be willing to split the Vienna with you. Maybe some other miscellaneous items (I seem to remember people trying to get together on starsan or PBW before).

As I said in the other thread I am willing to help with unloading sorting splitting at the monroeville drop location. We can figure out these details later.

Thanks for taking this initiative. It feels like there is going to be a lot of interest as this has been a long time coming.

Star San and PBS are on the order sheet for splits. Ordering chemicals will add a $15 hazmat charge and can be split between people buying chemicals. I will have to give everyone access to the order form but it copies Syracuse group buy and other forms. Closer to the end I'll talk to DMace about help with organizing.

This is great. That's one hell of a write up.

Just so everyone has an idea:
I'd prefer pick ups M-F between 7am-4:30pm, or Sat 7-NOON. Those who cannot make it during these hours can make arrangements with me by using this thread or by PMing me. I live a half hour away, so its not a big deal to schedule pick ups after hours. That said, I'd obviously like to schedule as few as possible. I'm sure we'll be able to work that out down the road.

For those who are splitting bags, I have a scale. Just bring your own container if you want to split it here.

I had all but given up on this. Like KRP said, thanks for taking the initiative. And thank bugman for all of us too.

I won't have access to my email until Monday, so I'll send you my information then.

I'll be in for 10 bags, 8 bags of CM-2ROW AND 2 bags of CM-MUNH.

Thanks Dand and DMace for doing this.

That order form looks like it will make it easy to keep track of everything. For the record I am currently in for:

(2) – GW-2ROW – Premium 2-Row
(1) – 5303 - Pilsen Malt
(0.5) – GW-VIEN – Vienna Malt (split fulfilled with dand9066)
(0.5) – 5337 – Munich Malt 10L (split unfulfilled)

At this time I am not interested in Starsan/PBW, but if there is enough interest I may be persuaded to jump in on a split large enough to offset the additional $15.

This is great. That's one hell of a write up.

Just so everyone has an idea:
I'd prefer pick ups M-F between 7am-4:30pm, or Sat 7-NOON. Those who cannot make it during these hours can make arrangements with me by using this thread or by PMing me. I live a half hour away, so its not a big deal to schedule pick ups after hours. That said, I'd obviously like to schedule as few as possible. I'm sure we'll be able to work that out down the road.

For those who are splitting bags, I have a scale. Just bring your own container if you want to split it here.

I had all but given up on this. Like KRP said, thanks for taking the initiative. And thank bugman for all of us too.

I forgot to ask you about having a scale! AWESOME.

LESS THAN 12 HOURS IN

...and we have filled almost a quarter of a pallet.

REMEMBER: EMAIL --> [email protected] the following for access to the order sheet:
HBT USERNAME
NAME
ADDRESS
PHONE

I am monitoring my email almost constantly at work from 6a to 3p to grant access.
:mug:

Per the suggestion above, I entered the following on the order sheet:

2 bags - GW2Row
1 bags - TF- MOPA
1 bags - 5301 Pale Ale Malt
.25 (1 gal) - 5S-STAR4

Thanks guys. This is awesome. Really appreciate your efforts.

Thanks PJM

I just added Pilsen light DME (2*L) & Golden Light DME (4*L) to the bottom of the splits. These both come in 50lb bags for $90.00. I set the splits in 5lb increments if anyone is interested. USE ---> .1, .2, .3 and so on for the split

I set myself up for 10lbs but I may change to 5!

Thanks PJM

I just added Pilsen light DME (2*L) & Golden Light DME (4*L) to the bottom of the splits. These both come in 50lb bags for $90.00. I set the splits in 5lb increments if anyone is interested. USE ---> .1, .2, .3 and so on for the split

I set myself up for 10lbs but I may change to 5!

Ughhh this is getting heavy on the wallet! Have to keep telling myself how much I am saving by buying all this at one time!

In for 15 lbs of Light Pilsen :rockin:

Order is in for 6 bags of 2 row, and 10 pounds of Pilsen dme. Thanks for getting this together.

We're over a half a pallet.

Splits still open:
5337 Munich Malt 10*L (1 @ 1/2 sack or 2 @ 1/4 sack)
BD-MOPA Marris Otter (1 @ 1/2 sack or 2 @ 1/4 sack)
5760 Pilsen Lgt DME 2*L (Available in 5lb increments up to 20lb avail)

5S-STAR4 StarSan (3 gal open available in 1 gal increments

CHEERS

My Order:

(1) CM-WHET
(1) CM-6ROW
(1) BD-MOPA
(1) TF-OPTC
(1) TF-AMBR
(1) TF-BRWN
(1) TF-PCHO
(1) TF-CRY65
(1) FB-VIEN
(1) FB-SMUN
(1) GP-RICE
(1) Gallon of Starsan
(1) GR-BGHT-1K AB Vickers Breakbright Tablets

faithinchaos said:
do we have to post our order in here if we've already added to the order sheet?

You don't have too but it keeps the thread alive for other locals to see.

1 Pallet filled

cool.

if there is another pallet would someone want to split a 50lb bag of dextrose with me?

faithinchaos said:
cool.

if there is another pallet would someone want to split a 50lb bag of dextrose with me?

We are over one. We should shoot for 2. Add dextrose to the next split column. Put how much of the split you would like. I will go back in and add the price.

If someone wants to split they can add it to their order.

I'm on my phone. It looks like there is a lot already that I need to add prices to.

Added:
1 GW-2ROW
1 CM-SPIL
1 TF-MOPA
1 GW-C60
1 CM-MUNH

5# 5760 Pilsen Light (2°L)
1 Gal Star San

Hope we fill the second pallet!

Im in for a bag of Pilsner (or half if anyone wants to split) and if anyone wants to split a bag of Vienna (if not I'll take the whole thing:D)

trent_77590 said:
Im in for a bag of Pilsner (or half if anyone wants to split) and if anyone wants to split a bag of Vienna (if not I'll take the whole thing:D)

Trent. Send me and email with ur HBT username. Name. Address. Phone. I'll then give u access to the sheet to add what you would like.

[email protected]

I forgot to post my order to the forum. They were all in for the first pallet.

1 - 5303 Pilsen Malt
2 - GW 2ROW Premium 2 Row
1 - BD MOPA Marris Otter

btw, this is the scale that I have. So don't get too excited. And no fighting over whose container has 27 lbs and whose has 28 lbs:

eGiKl.jpg

Just added to my order:

.200 - 5760 Pilsen lgt DME (2*L)

Always needing DME for starters...

Just added to my order:

.200 - 5760 Pilsen lgt DME (2*L)

Always needing DME for starters...

Added .1 to my .1. Finished that split.

I added another row for the 5760 Pilsen lgt DME (2*L) for anyone else that is interested. Again, available in 5lb increments.

NOTIFICATION:

We will order at least 2 pallets.

I don't have a problem going for 3 pallets but I am going to save a copy of the sheet as soon as will fill 2 pallets incase interest dies down part way through the 3rd.

If we can't get over 110-115 sacks by the 03/16/2012 then we will only place the order for the first 2 pallets.

I have given access to quite a few people just this morning and there are some people I have given access to that haven't placed orders so I don't see interest dying just yet.

The more we order the cheaper it is for everyone!

If you are the one to finish the second pallet(84) Please save a copy to your computer and email it to me incase I don't catch it when we hit that number.

I'm going to use my 5# of Pilsen DME for starters. I hope to start boiling down and canning leftover runnings from the mash tun in the future though.

Anybody have experience with this or think of a reason not to do it? I do all-grain and I plan to collect wort to reach my preboil volume as usual and then collect the rest of the wort (until the runnings are 1.010) and boil that down to 1.040 or a little under. Then I want to can the wort in mason jars and store them in the cellar and just grab them whenever I'm ready to do a starter.

I hate throwing out grain when I know there is still some usable sugar in there and then having to pay for DME.

Maybe the diluted wort from the end of the runnings won't have enough nutrients for a healthy starter?

I am not able to see the country malt link above to review the grains and prices. I click the link and type the password in and get an error page. Anyone else having this issue?

Yes,

I believe they made that password invalid. Luckily I saved the pdf. I have added a link to view the pricing on the order sheet document. Just copy the link in cell D6

or Click Here!

Trent your not being a pain. I've added and subtracted from my order.

Fred. If a split is open but the count is 84 the split wouldn't be ordered. When a .5 split completes to 1 it adds to the total sacks

Got my order in earlier this evening. Had to restrain myself, I don't think SWMBO would react well to the purchase of $200 of grain. Maybe next time.

Anyway I'm in for:
1 bag Canadian Malt 2-row
1 bag Thomas Fawcett Marris Otter

Can't wait to brew with this!

Anyone interested in a bottle cap split???

We could do plain caps or oxygen absorbing. 10,000 total that I figured we could purchase in increments of 1,000.

PLAIN CAPS: $11.50 + $0.50 shipping /per 1,000
OXY ABSORB: $18.50 + $0..50 shipping /per 1,000

If there is interest let me know and I'll add it. I would take a 1k split myself!
Keep in mind that we are not going to count 10k caps to make sure you get the exact amount. We can weigh all the caps and do the math to get it real close.

DMase - I just ordered a digital postal scale because I need one for weighing my own grain when it comes time. I'll bring it to the pick up location because I think it will be easier to dump grain in a plastic tote to weigh it out then put it in the hanging scale.

PJM, Fred, KPR, Rloc...don't forget zip locks or smaller containers for the DME when it comes time for pick up.

Back