First Time Bottle Harvesting Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrotmalt

Reaction score
I saved the dregs from 3 Sierra Nevada Pale Ale bottles, flamed the lip, and pitched them into a sanitized flask. Last time I brewed BMs Centennial Blonde, I made an extra gallon and pressure canned it in pint size canning jars. I added about 3 ounces from one of those and have been occasionally swishing it around (when I'm off work) for 2 days. I plan on brewing 5 days from now.

Questions:
Can I step it up to 1.5 liters in that amount of time?​

What increments should I use?​

How do I know for sure when to step it up?​
-This morning there seemed to be a decent layer on the bottom. Maybe this afternoon...?​

Are there any tests I can try to ensure it's worthy of a 5.5 gallon batch (other than smell and taste)?​

Should I reboil the rest of my first pint of canned wort or just add the rest (other than trub)?​
-I quickly put the lid back on and put it in the fridge after pouring the initial 3ish ounces.​

I know I can buy this strain from my homebrew shop if this experiment doesn't turn out, but this seems to up the cool factor for some reason. ;)

I saved the dregs from 3 Sierra Nevada Pale Ale bottles, flamed the lip, and pitched them into a sanitized flask. Last time I brewed BMs Centennial Blonde, I made an extra gallon and pressure canned it in pint size canning jars. I added about 3 ounces from one of those and have been occasionally swishing it around (when I'm off work) for 2 days. I plan on brewing 5 days from now.

Questions:
Can I step it up to 1.5 liters in that amount of time?​

What increments should I use?​

How do I know for sure when to step it up?​
-This morning there seemed to be a decent layer on the bottom. Maybe this afternoon...?​

Are there any tests I can try to ensure it's worthy of a 5.5 gallon batch (other than smell and taste)?​

Should I reboil the rest of my first pint of canned wort or just add the rest (other than trub)?​
-I quickly put the lid back on and put it in the fridge after pouring the initial 3ish ounces.​

I know I can buy this strain from my homebrew shop if this experiment doesn't turn out, but this seems to up the cool factor for some reason. ;)

Relax, simply opening your canned jar of wort shouldn't have contaminated it if you gave it a good spray of sanitizer over the jar. IMHO, it is fairly difficult to contaminate wort unless you are being completely carless.

As far as the procedure for bottle harvesting goes, I just started my first bottle harvesting experiment Sunday night. I used the dregs from a 22 oz bottle of Rogue Somer Orange Honey Ale, there was a nice layer in the bottle.

Anyhow, if you check the link in my sig, I detail the steps that I took to try and culture Rogue's Pacman yeast. I stepped it up last night, and plan to do a third and final step tonight.

Check my sig or click here.

Good luck!

FYI, I added the rest of the first pint yesterday and this morning had the first sign of noticeable Krausen and a decent layer of yeast on the bottom. I gave it a swirl and will probably step it up either to a liter or the full 1.5 tomorrow.

I did forget to add nutrient, but I may boil some and include it when I step it up again.

~Fingers crossed~
:rockin:

Back