Sizing up shanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chode720

Reaction score
I know this question has been asked a bunch and I searched around, but I didnt really find what I was looking for.

Anyways, I just got my keg set up and have it in my kegerator, but I would like to upgrade from the picnic taps to faucets thru the door. I measured the refrigerator door and it is around 1.5 inches thick. I have no problem cutting away some shelving if necessary, but I was wondering if a 3in shank would be long enough.

What I have read says to measure the door and add about 1 inch. I found a pretty good deal on 3in shanks and figure that they will work. I guess I am just paranoid and would like some confirmation on if these will work.

Thanks! :mug:

I'm sure I have no idea how to answer the thread, so I didn't even read it. I just wanted to say that the thread title is epic.

I can't tell you what size shanks you should have because I'm a kegging noob, but I can tell you my experience.

My refrigerator door is 1 1/4" thick. I have 5-inch shanks and everything works like a charm. If I were you, I'd go 5 inches just to give yourself enough clearance between having the nut on the flange and tap line connector.

I converted a chest freezer, so I have 1x6 oak, and some of that pink polystyrene, I think 1.5". However, I bought 4" shanks because that's the only size stainless steel comes in. I figured I was being particular enough with the beer line, Perlicks, and sanitation, going less than stainless seemed to be wasteful corner cutting. They overhang a little bit, but not enough to be a problem, and it gave me room to work with for tightening the nut.

Oh, and in response to OP, I only have the large shanks, 4 or 5 inches. But I have only had large fridges and I don't think that will be changing as I can't afford a little fancy setup...

I just skipped right to the reply without reading any more than the title, because I KNOW exactly what you are asking about.
You can also call them shivs.

shanks.jpg

Just make sure that your shank is bigger and sharper than the other guys and you should be fine.

I just skipped right to the reply without reading any more than the title, because I KNOW exactly what you are asking about.
You can also call them shivs.

shanks.jpg

Just make sure that your shank is bigger and sharper than the other guys and you should be fine.

Awesome, exactly what I needed :D

:rockin:

Longer shank means more metal mass inside the cold fridge/keezer which means the faucet on the outside will stay a little bit colder. Since my keezer is in a hot garage that matters to me. So I went with the longest shank that didn't get in the way.

Back