floating in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maui808

Reaction score
About 1/4 of the bottles from my pliny clone, bottled about a month ago, have stuff floating in them.

Is that normal for a beer w/ over a pound of pellet hops (could they be pellet particles??) or did I have some sort of sanitization issue? So far they taste fine and there is no over carbination, just this stuff floating in some of them. Weird.

3647499769_457b407a52_o.jpg

how long has it been bottled? i've had some floaties in some beers i've bottled, but they all settle in time.

About a month now in bottles. If anything the bottles that have this are getting more of it, but it's been a slight increase over the weeks.

If it is getting more, I'd say something might indeed be amiss. That being said if they taste fine drink them first. You are storing them upright aren't you?

Yes, storing them upright, at 70 (would drop temp but have another beer fermenting in the chest freezer).

I'll put as many as I can fit in the regular fridge and see if the stuff drops.

Ya, a pound of hops, it's a clone of Pliny the Elder by Russian River Brewing. Great beer... if you love hops! Costs a lot to make due to the amount of hops, but it's a nice treat. Surprisingly smooth beer for all the hops, very drinkable. Smells amazing, like sticking your head in a bag of hops.

That doesn't look like hops to me, but I can't tell what it might be.

Pliny clones are great fun, and I loved the ones I've done. Of course, I did my first one when hops were $.99/ounce! It would cost a little more now, that's for sure!

That doesn't look like hops to me, but I can't tell what it might be.

Pliny clones are great fun, and I loved the ones I've done. Of course, I did my first one when hops were $.99/ounce! It would cost a little more now, that's for sure!

This was my first pliny clone, I love it! Had one tonight, dang it sure is good, oh man. I would have more but it's 7.5%. Wish I could make a 3% pliny that I could drink a ton of!

In the glass it almost looked like organic plant material, wondering now if it could be tiny pieces from the pellets that made it through the fine mesh hop bag that I forcible squeezed that last bit of wort out of, or possibly pieces of pellets that made it through the coarse mesh hop bag I used for dry hopping which I squeezed the last bit of hop goodness out of right before bottling. But people say that should sink, so who knows.

Guess I'll just keep an eye on them.

Back