I have no idea what went wrong but this looks awful

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottbrews

Reaction score
Hey all,

I brewed a stout (partial) on Jan 10, and I saw no bubbles 24-48 hours after I brewed it. I assumed this was because it was in my basement which was about 60 degrees.

I was planning to move it up to a warmer spot and maybe pitch some yeast but I went down today and saw it looking really strange.

It's almost certainly contaminated, right? Shall I just toss this batch?

image.jpg

That is called Krauzen, and it is perfectly normal. Means your yeast are working. Look up how to rig up a blow off tube (my preferred method is to attach a 3/8 hose to the center part of that airlock, and submerge the other end in a bowl of sanitizer).

Also, you'll want to gently wipe and sanitize where the beer foamed over.

Whatever you do, don't throw it out!!! This is beer you're making!!

Yeah, it's supposed to do that, but your krausen is trying to escape... You must let it, in a sanitary way... Do as we say, remove the plastic cap, and insert the hose as described above (called a blow of tube) and plan the other end In pitcher of sanitizer, which essentially becomes a giant airlock. Big beers (or high ABV beers can do this due to the large amount of sugars in the wort.

Too bad you live in PA, I would gladly take that off your hands if you're going to throw it away.

I'm in Connellsville, i'll be over first thing in the morning to dispose of this for you. Trust me this type of "infection" needs special care from a professional!!!

60° F ambient temps are pretty good. I'd prefer a few degrees colder, but...

Go to the pet store and buy a stick-on aquarium thermometer. That will tell you the temp of the wort inside. I don't think that they will work with plastic carboys, but they do work for glass ones.

And for future reference, don't try to ferment 5 gallons of wort in a 5.5 gallon carboy. If you do, then just be sure to rig up a blow-off tube ahead of time.

LandoLincoln said:
60° F ambient temps are pretty good. I'd prefer a few degrees colder, but...

Go to the pet store and buy a stick-on aquarium thermometer. That will tell you the temp of the wort inside. I don't think that they will work with plastic carboys, but they do work for glass ones.

And for future reference, don't try to ferment 5 gallons of wort in a 5.5 gallon carboy. If you do, then just be sure to rig up a blow-off tube ahead of time.

Fermometers work great on better bottles ...

This.

This is why you have the krausen come out of the airlock. You simply have the wrong size carboy for a 5 gallon batch to ferment in. You need a 6.5 gallon to be safe, and in some cases, you will still need a blow off tube.

Whoa, thanks for all the responses everyone! I've never used my carboy before but I have an IPA in my primary so I had to improvise. The weird color in the airlock made me think it was contaminated but I guess it's all good.

Argyle, thanks for the kind offer, I think I can handle this myself :)

I shall attach the hose and sanitizer. Can I use the same hose I use to siphon my beer? And I have a few empty Carlo Rossi jugs, can I fill those up with sanitizer and use those?

scottbrews said:
I shall attach the hose and sanitizer. Can I use the same hose I use to siphon my beer? And I have a few empty Carlo Rossi jugs, can I fill those up with sanitizer and use those?

Yes, the same hose, provided it fits on the center of the airlock. Fill the jug w/ about 3" of sanitizer (just enough to keep the hose submerged).

Unless you live in Pittsburgh! Then yes you're welcome to some free beer, but probably not for another few weeks!

Ok, ok, I did as you guys said and put the tube in. Thanks everyone for your help. Another step on the road to beer nirvana.

The pictures are good stuff. When five gallons of wort takes off, it can be quite a ride, eh?

For future reference, you can slow the ferment with a cooler location. The airlock speed limit is about one bubble per second. The krausen isn't far behind at that rate.

Back