Hop residue stuck in funnel? What to do.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kawaka

Reaction score
I'm a relative newbie to homebrewing and recently finished my third extract brew. I'm having a problem when transferring my wort to the carboy. I use a funnel with a screen at the bottom and the hop residue clogs it up. I constantly have to scrape the screen to allow the wort to flow thru. Am I doing it wrong? Should I just remove the screen and pour the wort with all the hop residue into the carboy?

I use a bucket for my primary and pour the wort through a screen to catch the hops. If you like your hops, you will need to ditch the small screen in the funnel. Others will likely have suggestions for using a carboy for primary but I find the bucket primary and carboy secondary works great for avoiding the problem you are having.

I don't think it would hurt anything if you pour the wort in with the hops either. You should loose it when you transfer to your secondary anyways.

I don't try to separate out any hops residue when transferring to the fermenter. For leaf hops, I generally use a bag now because they will clog up the pump I use but never for pellet hops or cold break or any other stuff.

So it is ok for the hop residue to go into the fermenter? Keep in mind that I don't do a secondary.

I use a mesh strainer and am usually by the garden/compost pile and keep flipping the crud into the pile as I go. In colder temps I dump the strainer into the compost pail. I try to keep some crud out of the carboy just to make the final racking a bit more efficient.

B

I just line my bottling bucket with a sanitized paint strainer and pour through a wire colander. The colander usually needs to be cleaned out once in the process. The nylon paint strainer grabs the rest of the shtuff. Works great for me! Then you can just pour directly into your fermentation vessel from there. The wort needs aeration, so this extra step helps ensure it!

I BIAB, and then use the bag as a super loose hop bag. Keeps 90%+ of the residue out of the primary, and still lets the wort circulate through and utilize the hops. That grain bag is the best purchase I've made to date.

Just whirpool and siphon from the edge of the kettle. Most of the junk will get left behind.

what does your boil kettle look like? i use a hop spider for the hops and i have a ss mesh braid overtop of the out tube in my keggle, never had a problem with any hops coming though

I have used three different methods for transferring from brew pot to fermenter:
1) Pour through a funnel with a filter. PITA because the filter clogs. Even without the filter, the funnel can clog.
2) Whirlpool and siphon leaving behind the majority of the trub (mostly hops) along with a small amount of wort. Works OK.
3) Just dump the wort into the fermenter leaving behind some of the trub and a little of the wort.
4) Just dump the whole thing into the fermenter.
Wait... That's four methods. Well 3 and 4 are at least similar. :cross:
I have to say, the end result for these methods was no different. I got good beer out of all of them. My preference now is to just pour leaving behind some of the trub if there is a lot of it (method 3 or 4). I do use a secondary to allow additional "settling" and clearing of the beer prior to bottling.
My advice is, don't worry, make your beer, drink it and enjoy it. :mug:

Back