force carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papagayo

Reaction score
I'm moving into kegging and force carbing my ciders and I was wondering what you all think about psi for a sparkling cider. I have one keg that's been under 5-6 psi for 3 days at between 32-40 degrees, I pulled a sample tonight and didn't really notice any carbonation. I've heard that you need to ratchet it up with cider, but I haven't seen any good tables/charts, or really any reliable info at all.

One technique that I'm not all that excited about is cranking it up to 30 psi and shaking the keg. I'm sure it works, but I'd like to do something that creates a replicable result.

Any thoughts appreciated.

My beers are at 12 psi at 39 degrees, which is a good carb level for beer after about 2 weeks or so. For soda, I carb it at 30 psi at 39 degrees, though. It depends on how carbed up you want it.

I'm not a fan of burst force carbing and shaking because it can lead to foaming and overcarbing. You could try 15 psi for two weeks, and see how you like it. If you need more carb, it's easy to turn it up but very difficult to lower it!

my beers are usually at 12 or 12.5. but i did just do a batch of cider and noticed that its better at around 15.

Do you turn down the pressure on the regulator to, say, 5 psi before serving? Or you do you just get a long bit of tube and let the pressure ease up on it's way to the tap? Would you follow the same procedure if using a counter-pressure bottle filler?

Thanks for the help.

i've never turned my pressure down. i don't think you should have to. 12 psi is right in the range i think most people use for carbing and serving, though i have heard other people say they turn they're down. i always just set it around 12 and let it go, its usually good in a week, great in two. i just turned the cider up a little because it seemed like (taste wise) it would be better with a little more.

i don't know about counter pressure fillers, sorry man.

Back