Need help with possible kegging upgrade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smalltown2001

Reaction score
So this situation might seem a little out of the ordinary for getting into kegging, but I was wondering if it might work out to be an oppurtunity for me. Short story, I've been brewing for 3 years and only bottled my homebrew, and would like to get to kegging it to save the hassle. Now my wife is 6 months pregnant, and wanted to get a freezer to store the extra breast milk that we have. So i figured great, this is a good change to kill two birds with one stone. Problem is, the milk has to be frozen, and the kegs obviously not frozen, and the wife does not want another full size fridge. I haven't been able to find a fridge/freezer that is mid size, in between the mini and the full, that would meet my needs. I would only need 2 corny kegs I think, since I don't move through the homebrew that fast, and not a huge amount of freezer space, but maybe a little more than what the mini fridge/freezers have. Does anyone have any ideas? I figure this is a good chance to get a start on kegging while the wife wants another freezer. Thanks in advance, you guys are awesome!!!

How large can you go? There are many top freezer models in the 7-10 cu ft range. I have a 10 cu ft that I used as a kegger and the freezer was always frozen, even with the refrigerator section at 45F.

Hmm... that's a good idea, i didn't think they made it in that in-between size range. The price is a little more that just a stand alone freezer, but the lowest I found was for a 15 cubic foot, the smaller ones are more expensive. Definitely an option, we'll see how convincing I can be to the wife. I REALLY want to start kegging, I went out to our shed where I store my empty bottles, and it's sad... the darn bottles take up so much space, not to mention that they all need to be CLEANED as well. Thanks David!

Back