"Sweet" Beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usc_cop

Reaction score
Hi guys...

I am looking to see if anyone has any ideas for a "sweet" beer. I have a friend who had the request. He said it was for his wife, who doesn't like "beer-beer", but wanted something with a touch of sweetness... I have no clue where to start!

Good call, I was actually trying to think of a recipe that my wife would like (she's a BMC drinker) and thought of just using ultra light DME and .25 oz bittering and .25 aroma. I don't think I'd leave out hops altogether, but cut it in half at least.

Bobby

There are some cream ale recipes around that might fit what you're looking for. I don't think of BMC as being "sweet" at all, to me a "sweet" beer is malty, with a lot of body - pretty much the antithesis of BMC.

You're right, comparing a malty beer to BMC was stupid. What I was actually going for is the light side of bitter and hoppy aroma. I think most BMC drinkers just can't make the jump to a bitter but don't mind malty.

Bobby

My wife doesn't like beers that are terribly bitter, either. I'm planning on making a brown ale for her in the not-too-distant future. Something along the lines of a Newcastle clone might be a decent choice if you want something sweet and malty (not bitter at all), and she doesn't mind something that's a little darker. My wife HATES light beers and dislikes hops, which is leading me in that direction. She also likes Oktoberfest-type beers, which are not too bitter and have a lot of malty goodness to them. Not BMC-like, though. My next beer will be something like this, although I won't be able to lager it.

The Irish and Scottish beers tend to be more malty then anything else IMHO, may want to try one or 2 of those. Usually when I make mine I tend to stay to the lowest end of the IBU limits which helps as well.

Back