Its not a Pumkin Ale....its Cran-Acorn-Squash Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddwill

Reaction score
Inspired by the taste of a good pumpkin spiced ale, I decided on a highly expiramental brew.

My family loves to stew brown sugar, butter, and cranberries, then place in halves of acorn-squash (similar to pumpkin) and bake. Trust me its delicious...

So I thought why not make a beer...

I am going to bake the squash as usual (minus butter) and add to the boiling wort.

Here is my question: The pumpkin recipe calls for 1# honey, which will increase the sweetness, but do I still add the brown sugar to the baking squash-cranberries? Do I just use honey or brown sugar, half and half?

make sure you plug everything that's fermentable into promash or some like software so you know what kind of OG to expect. The Honey and brown sugar are likely to ferment near fully.

Inspired by the taste of a good pumpkin spiced ale, I decided on a highly expiramental brew.

My family loves to stew brown sugar, butter, and cranberries, then place in halves of acorn-squash (similar to pumpkin) and bake. Trust me its delicious...

So I thought why not make a beer...

I am going to bake the squash as usual (minus butter) and add to the boiling wort.

Here is my question: The pumpkin recipe calls for 1# honey, which will increase the sweetness, but do I still add the brown sugar to the baking squash-cranberries? Do I just use honey or brown sugar, half and half?

Like the other guy said, just go ahead and use both if you want, but they will ferment out and there won't be a ton of flavor imparted from one pound of either.

You could add brown sugar while you're baking. It'll caramelize, and I am not sure what that will do in your mash tun, but it almost sounds too messy for my tastes. But it is an experimental beer, so why not?

Also, you'll have to use quite a bit of cranberry if you want to impart any of the flavor.

Hmm, I like the idea. Why not use the squash like you would in a normal pumpkin beer (cook it, add it to the mash,) ferment it, and then rack onto chopped cranberries in secondary?

All the brown sugar and honey will do is up the ABV, which really doesn't make sense with the food recipe. You want a acorn squash/cranberry beer. Try to do that instead of sticking to the original recipe...:mug:

Back