Imperial English IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitterbuffalo

Reaction score
I got a bunch of hops for Christmas, among them 4oz of Challenger (6.7% AA) and 4oz UK Fuggles (4.3%AA).

Challenger/Fuggles make trying an English IPA seem logical. But then I got to thinking...with 8oz to play with, maybe I should try an IIPA...

Before I waste 8oz of wonderful hops though, figured I'd ask the community: has anyone ever tried an Imperial English IPA? It seems English IPA and Imperial IPA are mutually exclusive according to BJCP. But that doesn't mean it won't work :)

That said, I'm not super familiar with English IPAs in general, so I'm not sure if it's a neat experiment, or a waste of hops. I was thinking to balance the hops, I'd do something with lots of Marris Otter, backed by some Munich, a bit of Honey malt, some wheat, and just a hint of Special B.

I mostly just want to get some input to see if anyone else has tried or tasted something similar. I won't knowingly set down a stupid/wasteful path.

So what do think? Stupid/crazy/wasteful? Or intriguing/worth trying?

Any thoughts, anecdotes, or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I got a bunch of hops for Christmas, among them 4oz of Challenger (6.7% AA) and 4oz UK Fuggles (4.3%AA).

Challenger/Fuggles make trying an English IPA seem logical. But then I got to thinking...with 8oz to play with, maybe I should try an IIPA...

Before I waste 8oz of wonderful hops though, figured I'd ask the community: has anyone ever tried an Imperial English IPA? It seems English IPA and Imperial IPA are mutually exclusive according to BJCP. But that doesn't mean it won't work :)

That said, I'm not super familiar with English IPAs in general, so I'm not sure if it's a neat experiment, or a waste of hops. I was thinking to balance the hops, I'd do something with lots of Marris Otter, backed by some Munich, a bit of Honey malt, some wheat, and just a hint of Special B.

I mostly just want to get some input to see if anyone else has tried or tasted something similar. I won't knowingly set down a stupid/wasteful path.

So what do think? Stupid/crazy/wasteful? Or intriguing/worth trying?

Any thoughts, anecdotes, or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I think you may be approaching this with the wrong concept. An IIPA uses less specialty malt, not more. As you increase the base malt and OG, you ease back on the specialty grains. With such a flavorful base malt as Marris Otter, I would use something like:

14 lbs MO
1 lb sugar
1.075 OG

I learned the hard way with my "amber IPA" that using munich and crystal malts to balance the hops doesn't work.

I would go with a straight Maris Otter English IPA. If you want more hop flavor/aroma, then use the majority of the hops 20 minutes from the end forward. I would also not go over 60 IBU for the batch. IMO, a really great English IPA is more about flavor and aroma than IBUs (unlike most American IPAs). Depending on the batch size, use enough Challenger to get a decent IBU:GU balance, but then let Fuggles come through for either flavor or aroma. You can also reserve an ounce of each to dry hop with either in keg, or after fermentation is complete.

IF you're really set on using another malt, go with less than 5% honey malt in the batch. Also use a solid English yeast strain (Wyeast 1335 is a really good choice I've found).

Back