Need help with diacetyl rest temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chromechaser

Reaction score
I am trying out wyeasts ringwood ale yeast this weekend and their website (as well as others on this forum) recommends a diacetyl rest. My quandry is that right now my basement(where I ferment) and upstsirs are roughly the same temperature. Any suggestions on how I can raise the temp. without having to buy a fridge and temp. controller?

There are a couple of ways, but the easiest is probably to wrap an electric blanket around the thing. Or if you're only going for a couple of degrees, you could maybe get away with one of those electric heating pads you get at a pharmacy. Just stick the fermenter on top of it and let the heat rise through it.

most ale fermentation temps are more than adequate for diacetyl rests. like osagedr said, just leave it on the yeast for a few extra days once fermentation is complete and they will clean up after themselves. from what ive read, diacetyl rests and raising temperature mainly applies to lagers.

Usually ale yeast usually absorbs the diacytle fine when the temp is in the 70s, but if your fermenting colder id just keep the temp around 72ish for a few days, I only worry about it with my lagers

Thanks for the replies everybody. I think what I'll do is primary like usuall(4 weeks) then take a hydro and taste the sample for butterscotch flavor. If its present then I will try the heating pack trick for the diacetly rest.

Back