possible mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kosmokramer

Reaction score
Okay so I got the belgian wit kit from midwest and it comes with corriander and bitter orange peel. I thought id add some sweet orange peel as well so i went to the lhbs to pick that up.
Problem at hand is the fresh sweet orange looks like dried orange peel, orange in color. the bitter orange that was shipped from midwest is green. Is this mold? or is this what it is supposed to look like?

No, that's what it looks like. Don't worry about it. I've done a few wits and the bitter orange peel always looks a little blue/green in some parts.

mine was like that too (same kit). i did some research on bitter oranges and it looks kinda like that before its dried. its been a while since i googled it, but i remember something about curaco oranges? they're kinda this weird blue green color. mine definatly looked like they were molded but i used them and it was fine.

thanks all....will brew first in the am... how did this kit come out rycov? anything missing or was it good?

hey. sorry i got back to you late. i added zest from two oranges and it came out great. the orange wasn't over powering (though i feel it woul have been good with out adding anything). all the kits i've got from midwest have been good. i feel it came out better than a blue moon (although similar). if you've already brewed it then taste after fermentation and see if you'd like more orange, and let us know ho wit comes out (catch the pun?). :mug:

also i brewed a graff on the yeast cake from this and it came out awsome. look into it, its super cheap and easy. to the standard graff recipe i added cinimon sticks and a bourbon vanilla bean (i can't help adding things).

Back