how about a masala mama clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepsouth

Reaction score
does anyone have any ideas about a clone for this AWESOME beer?

would love to try to nail this one.

thanks in advance!

peace
j

I just had this 2 days ago. Damn right it was good. Had it on tap, firkin, and the mango mama. Talked to the bartender for awhile and he said it was the #1 IPA on Beeradvocate. I told no, I'm pretty sure it was AleSmith IPA last I checked. Had my blackberry, checked and he was right it is the #1 rated IPA. Like how they do their growlers too. Swap 'em out instead of filling right there. That takes too much time, and peoples growlers can be nasty!
Excellent brewpub in Mn. Check it out if you are in Minniappolis.

Try shooting an email to the brewer, if you can get the hops out of him you will be well on your way.

Just to revive this thread and see if anyone else has some ideas for this beer. According to the website they use Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, and Mt. Hood hops. I will be down there drinking this beer on saturday and will try to get some ideas as to a recipe.

Glad they have the hops up now, Mt. Hood is a bit surprising, but Hopslam uses some American-European hops with some more distinctly "American" hops.

Gonna bring this one back from the dead...

Has anyone tried tackling this one? Their website intrigues me as they seem to have added citra and HBC 342 to their hops list, wondering if they actually changed the recipe in the past couple years. I certainly haven't noticed a difference.

Any guesses on the grain or yeast either?

The brewer has given Northern Brewer a lot of good info on their other beers, but is tight-lipped about Masala Mama. A good friend of mine who used to work at Northern Brewer told me this (much to my disappointment)...

I was at Town Hall on the 4th and got to talking about the Mama with the bar tender. I guess the grain bill is pretty standard for an IPA; 2-row some light crystal and I am guessing a little oats. Town hall works with white labs and uses their yeast for their house strain. Its gotta be WLP005 British ale. Now to hops... I asked if they had changed the hop schedule since their current offering on their website is :
Amarillo
Cascade
Centennial
Mt. Hood
Citra
HBC 342

They have been making mama for some time and HBC 342 is a new player. Anyway I think there must be a full spectrum of hop techniques with this one from first wort hop, a hop stand, and nice size dry hop.

This and Lagunitas Sucks are my two favorite IPAs. I think I may combine these two projects and come up with a good multi hop pain the arse brew...

Back