Where to buy and how to sanitize fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmarshall

Reaction score
Let's assume I want o fruit my beer.... Similar to the raspberry post... Anything special one would have to buy or do? I noticed he used frozen berries.... Any reason for this?

You can just use bags of frozen fruit from the grocery. I add them directly to the secondary after letting the bags thaw while sealed. No need to worry about sanitizing them as they were frozen.

barryfine said:
You can just use bags of frozen fruit from the grocery. I add them directly to the secondary after letting the bags thaw while sealed. No need to worry about sanitizing them as they were frozen.

How much frozen fruit for a 5 gal batch

barryfine said:
No need to worry about sanitizing them as they were frozen.

Boiling kills bacteria, freezing usually does not. I'm not saying there is something wrong with your brew process, but I believe there is something wrong with your thought process.

Granted they are likely pretty clean from processing before they get to you. If it works for you, keep it up.

Boiling kills bacteria, freezing usually does not. I'm not saying there is something wrong with your brew process, but I believe there is something wrong with your thought process.

Granted they are likely pretty clean from processing before they get to you. If it works for you, keep it up.

Freezing does not completely sanitize, but it does kill a lot bacteria.

freisste said:

Freezing wont sanitize, but adding a beer that is already past primary will likely kill most anything that might be on the frozen fruit. I'd say you're pretty safe.

masterfool101 said:
Freezing wont sanitize, but adding a beer that is already past primary will likely kill most anything that might be on the frozen fruit. I'd say you're pretty safe.

Ok, and if I went with a purée designed for brewing, 3 lbs fresh fruit equals how much extrac/puree

Latest posts

Back