Moving: timescale advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

305guy

Reaction score
so i'm itching to brew a batch. unfortunately, i'm moving cross-country on january 6. i'm hoping to brew tomorrow, bottle on the 5th, and pack the bottles with blankets and towels that will (hopefully) limit their motion in the car. thoughts? should i do 1 week primary, 1 week secondary or 2 weeks primary, no secondary? will the car motion ruin the beer?

Why would the motion of the car ruin the beer? I could see if you let them get hot or exposed to direct sunlight, but all the moving will do is cause the yeast to stay in suspension, which is how the yeast will be anyway since they will be working on the beer. You'll just have to let the bottle sit when you arrive at your destination. Or maybe i am wrong.

I would think if you anchor the bottles so they dont break, keep them out of sun light, and control temperatures you should be fine. How long is the trip going to take?

I think you're nuts to think you'll want to bottle the day before moving....

Back