using two yeasts at once

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
Quick question, I am brewing Jamil's Saison recipe today. I did not have time to do a proper starter so he said in BCS book that you should build proper starter or pitch 2.5 vials of yeast.

I went to the LHBS and they were out of the WL 565 which I planned on using. I have one vial of 565 and could only purchase from any local stores 568.

Can I pitch both of these together or would I be better offf only pitching the one of the two?

I have copied the descriptions of both strains for simplicity sake for any one who can reply today. thanks

WLP565 Belgian Saison I Yeast
Classic Saison yeast from Wallonia. It produces earthy, peppery, and spicy notes. Slightly sweet. With high gravity saisons, brewers may wish to dry the beer with an alternate yeast added after 75% fermentation.
Attenuation: 65-75%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-75°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

WLP568 Belgian Style Saison Ale Yeast Blend
This blend melds Belgian style ale and saison strains. The strains work in harmony to create complex, fruity aromas and flavors. The blend of yeast strains encourages complete fermentation in a timely manner. Phenolic, spicy, earthy, and clove like flavors are also created.
Attenuation: 70-80%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 70-80°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

Personal opinion...

Go for it. They are at least similar strains so it is not that "wild". However, without knowing the recipe, gravity, etc. and the viablity of the two tubes you have I will say it is probably not as good as actually making a proper starter.

Since you already in the process just go for it.

Good luck!

well i did it, and my saison is in the garage happily bubbling away in a better bottle inside a rubbermaid bin filled with water and being heated by a submersible aquarium heater. and I am slowly ramping up the temp from 68-80 3 deg at a time every couple hours.

I hope it works out for me, and I do plan on washing the yeast but will wait to taste results before making another batch with the blend.

Back