Primming and storage temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

felipefranco

Reaction score
Hi, everyone

I'm a new brewer from Brazil and I have my first batch of a Dunkelweizen ready to bottle!
I live in the Northeast of Brazil and it's almost summer here, so the temperatures are around the 80's ºF all day long.
I have fermented it in a freezer with temperature control set to 65ºF.
The primming temperature should be the same as the fermentation?
What would happen to my beer if I left the bottles at room temperature(there's no temperature control in the house)?
Would it he over carbonated? Ruined?
Is there a problem to leave the bottles layed down(horizontally) during primming?
And after the two weeks I intend to let them sit, can I store them at room temperature of they should remain cooled?

Sorry about my English and thank you all for the help!
Cheers,
Felipe Franco

Try to prime them around 70 degrees

80 won't be bad but any higher might cause issues.

I would store them standing up.

Hope this helps

Tried to keep it short to help with any language issues

Priming is just the act of adding sugar to your bottling bucket before bottling.

The bottles should be kept upright and stored in the mid 70s range for conditioning. They should be left alone for about three weeks for the carbonation process to occur, then refrigerate for 48 hours before enjoying.

Good luck! :mug:

I fridge them for at least 1 week. That gives time for any chill haze to settle,co2 to get more fully into solution,& compact the yeast trub on the bottom of the bottle.

Thank you all for the help.
I guess I'll have to wait 2 more weeks with a full fridge to brew the next batch. :(
But I still have one question: Can I store them normaly at room temperature after the 2 weeks conditionig?

cheers! :mug:

I don't see how conditioning at 80 will matter. That's such a short time and small amount of fermentation going on I don't think anything bad will come of it. Just like raised temps after fermentation is mostly complete won't be as detrimental. In the summers here I condition at room temps (70-80). Maybe someone Yooper or Revvy could chime in with the correct answer.

And definitely don't lay the bottles horizontally. All that yeast that accumulates at the bottom will mix with your pour into the glass, which to just about everyone doesn't taste amazing.

Temps aren't as critical when the beer is bottled. It's not the same thing as ferment temps. You need 70F or higher to get the beer to carb & condition in a reasonable time frame of 3-4 weeks. Not to mention quality of same.

Temps aren't as critical when the beer is bottled. It's not the same thing as ferment temps. You need 70F or higher to get the beer to carb & condition in a reasonable time frame of 3-4 weeks. Not to mention quality of same.

I agree, but at the same time there's flexibility for sure. For example I have perfect carbonation after 7 days at 65f. Tastes like hell that early, but its carbonated and needs 3-4 weeks to hit the sweet spot for taste. Carbing at 80 shouldn't provide any issues. Maybe if he hit >100 he would be in trouble, but 80 is reasonable. Carbing would be faster, but then would still need those few weeks to mellow.

Just the thing that there's very little fermentation going on where any sort of product from 10f higher than normal shouldn't create a bad taste that is detectable to the human palate.

I have even heard of people putting them in the warm spots of the house to carb faster.

I can't get beers to carb at 60F or so. Even with US-05. I put'em in the MB which is the warmest room in the house. def needed 3 weeks to get good. I've also found that conditioning in average gravity ales takes about a week more than good carbonation to be good.

Yeah man,after they've carbed & conditioned properly. Since time is the fire in which we burn,I like to think it's the same for beer.

Ha. Yeah,I got some cigs,the wife & I had to wait till today to get paid. It's alright! Just gimme Friday...Friday night! Monday I got Friday on my mind...lil Earthquake for the day. Gunna get beer & vodka,&...in a while here. Then maybe try BS2 set up again. I figured out how to set up partial boils/extract/pm brewing in My Equipment anyway. Can't wait till I get BS2 figured out enough to enjoy using it.
Good call on the clarification though. I probably should've re-stated.

Thank you all for the help!
Just in case, I left 2 bottles out of the fridge to check what happens.

cheers! :mug:

Back