Mashing just for Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alcoholalchemy

Reaction score
So, I brought this up in another thread but I don't think I was very clear with my question. For a soda, has anyone done a mash simply to gather enough sugar to prime the bottle? No primary here, just mash-boil-bottle. I think that if you could get it right, you could get a great chewy body for a cola or root beer. You could just sweeten with a non-fermentable and you'd be set. Any ideas?

You want to use wort to as priming sugar when bottling soda?
It might be easier just to use DME?

That would work fine. I was just wondering if anyone had made soda from grain and whatever else for flavor. I imagine you could really get a lot of body that way. Perfect for root beer.

I would Like to do some sodas from mash. I need some recipes or info. Anyone have links/blog/ideas

To me it makes immensely more sense to just sweeten with unfermentables, steep grains for malty character, and prime with dme. Going through all the trouble of a mash for a small amount of sugars just doesn't seem worth it.

Also, if you want to go through the trouble for something, I would say you could pasteurize (or at least refrigerate) a soda with natural sugars. I think it's the unfermentables that will have a greater effect on the flavor and mouthfeel of your soda as compared to where you get the actual sugars from.

At that point if you really want a malty soda, you could partial mash for a large portion of the sugars then bottle and pasteurize what is effectively a nonalcoholic sweet beer.

Latest posts

Back